Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby wakes up at 5am every morning...arrrghhh

augustbump is offline Registered User

Baby wakes up at 5am every morning...arrrghhh

I am not sure if this is a legitimate problem with my 7mth old baby waking up at 5am every morning for the past 2 mths . Is that normal?

Basically, she goes to bed around 730ishpm each night. Her last feed consist of solid food and a bottle of milk say around 160ml at 7pm. She does not get any mid night feed since she was 5 mths old. She sleeps thru most nights till morning.

During the day time - she naps only in total 2 hours max but mostly an 1.5 hours. And night sleep is around 9 hours. So in total she only gets a max of 11 hours sleep. Is that sufficient for 7 mth old?

How do I lengthen her night sleep? I have tried for weeks not getting going to her room ( she sleeps on her cot in a her own room) till 6am. She screams, cries ,etc etc. The room is dark enough ( there is black out curtain, night lamp and soft soft music in the background). She sleeps in the grobag since she was 2 months old. Not leaking thru her nappy although its soak).

I thot she may be hungry- so i started feeding her a bottle of milk in the morning at 5isham.. but she does not finish the bottle at all. I tried to pat her to sleep but she thinks its play time. So.. we have recently taken her out from her cot to sleep with us once she is awake. So that at least i can lie down in bed and she can just do the boogie woogie besides us.

So.. what can I do to help her ease back to sleep on her own? Or is that just her normal wake hours now? oh,,, she gets her morning nap around 9ish and that lasts from 30 mins to 45 mins.

Anyone has any tips and advice to share?

thanks!
    panda- eyes mom.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    it sounds like you are doing everything perfectly and that she might just be adjusting her own sleep schedule.

my son woke up at 5:45am on the dot around 7-8 months for about a month or two, then it moved to 6am-ish and now at 16 months he wakes up at 6:30am. I think it's totally natural and if she's sleeping through the night, you've got it good!! 11 hours is totally normal for that age and her day napping seems fine.

each baby is different and requires a different amount of sleep. as long as she's a happy camper when she wakes up then she's telling you, she's done and ready to start the day.

overtime she will adjust her sleep again so don't fret! i am sure she will wake up later on her own.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    hi .. i have struggled with this recently as well. my 9 month old has been waking earlier and earlier for a few months now. He goes to bed at 7pm and then has been frequently waking at 5.30/5.50am (having previously slept til 7.15)
    His daytime sleep isn't brilliant either. he has anything from 1.5hrs to 2.5hrs in total each day. Split between 2 or 3 naps depending how the day goes.
    i also had tried everything you mention but this week - 2 nights ago - i tried putting him to bed earlier. 6.30pm. even though he didn't seem particularly tired - having just napped for 30mins from 4- 4.30pm!
    well it worked. not a peep until 6.30am. Same again last night...bed at 6.40pm...not a peep until 6.50am!

the theory is that by 7.30pm they are too tired and fall into the deepest part of the sleep too early...or something like that. don't know! but try it.

I also try to make sure that the first nap of the day is not before 9am irrespective of waking time...if I can..sometimes he is just too tired and needs bed by 8am / 8.30....

good luck!

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    I have not figured out why, but am sure there's some medical explanation for it, but I have also found putting my children to bed for 15/30 mins earlier when they suddenly start to wake up earlier, actually made them sleep till later.

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    I have a toy that is attatched to the crib. The only time I use it is when my baby will wake up early and it seems to keep her calm and at least in the crib longer. My 7 month old goes to bed at 630ish but wakes up at least 4 times a night and still has a bottle at 4am but will go back to sleep until 730-8am. Have you tried using a toy?

hi megan

i have toys in the cot.. her favourite bear, a new leap frog toy and she has her security blanket with her! Today i put her to bed at 7ish.. she did not knock out totally till 7.30pm.. full feed of milk so she should not be hungry ( but who knows!).

pray pray pray that she will wake up at 6am! we tell her everynight to wake up just a little later.. will see what happens tomorrow.

thanks for the tips!

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    Both my babes have been early risers . My 10 monthold currently wakes up around 5:30, my 3 year old used to do the same until she was over 2 (she sleeps till about 6 now!). I did a lot of reading on the subject and the most advice I got was 'to a parents of early risers all we can offer is sympathy and that usually by school age they sleep in more." Some parents are just luckier (and less sleep deprived!) than others I guess. Funny thing is I'm used to it now :)

hi everyone

bubs woke up at 3am - cried for 1 min . i offered her a drink of water and she knocked off to bed. I belived she woke up at 6am . I am not sure if she did bc I did not hear her crying till she knocked off the baby monitor and it started beeping. It might just be a fluke today!but heck its a good start.

i do think she is an early riser.. i may have to resign to the fact that both hubby and i will be pretty much sleep deprived for a very, very, very long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast