Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Part time vs full time helper

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Part time vs full time helper

I need some help to clarify a few points about the conditions of hiring a helper.
    I've understood... don't know if I'm right, that if I want to hire a part time helper, I should pay her hourly, and if I want a full time, it's a basic salary.
    Also, if I take a part time, am I supposed to pay something for a boarding house and food allowance ?
    What sort of contract do you have with a part time ?
    What about the insurance, and things you might have to pay like a flight ticket so she can go back home ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

KKKK is offline Registered User

I have had 2 part timers one did 4 hours a weeks and the other does 17 hours a week (on 4 different days) - with both I pay just $60 an hour. We have no contract I do not pay any additional costs - I think this is normal.

We do however pay them approx half their salary when we go away or find someone else to take them on as we think it is only fair to do this as why should they lose money just because we leave HK also we do not want them to move and find other employment just because we go away. I don't think everyone does this it is just a personal choice for us - although it does get expensive as we are away so much !!!

carang is offline Registered User

you should know that unless the part-time is here on a dependent visa or is a permanent resident, they are working illegally.

many people still go and hire part-times, but you should know the consequenses.

if you are reported or caught, you risk a $50,000 fine (i believe) and possible jail. the helper risks a fine, jail and deportation.

also, if anything goes wrong...she has an accident while working for you, she steals something etc... you have no recourse as you were employing her illegally.

personally, i would not want to risk it.

I've never thought of hiring a helper illegally, that's why I'm asking the details of hiring a part time vs a full time.

i'm not saying that you were intentionally looking to hire someone illegally. i merely pointed out that unless they are on a dependent visa or are PR then it is illegal.

the thing about these threads is that they are around for a long time and someone may in the future read it and not know that it is illegal.

Ok I understand, no problem.
    So in case i find someone legally, is it the same sort of contract as a full time ?
    Can a helper have 2 ( or more, depending on the amount of hours worked for each employer) legal part-time contracts ?
    What are the conditions (insurance, allowances...) ?
    Thanks !

i have two local ladies come to clean my playgroup.
    we agreed on a salary, i pay them. i also pay MPF for them, but that is because i'm a business. i also have insurance, but again, i'm a business.

JoTs is offline Registered User

When I had a part time local lady come to clean, I paid her $60 an hour and I had insurance for her. That is all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast