Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Starting P1 --Main Challenges?

snagito is offline Registered User

Starting P1 --Main Challenges?

Wondering if other parents could possibly share their experience of when their little ones started Primary Year 1 here in Hong Kong. It seems a big change from K2. What were the biggest challenges? Thank you!

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    hi snagito....is your little one headed to kennedy? each school is different, so i am speaking from the kennedy mum perspective.

the biggest challenge in the beginning was the tiredness. my son was ready for year one, but he was certainly tired at the end of the day. we cut down on after school activities in order to just let him relax and play around the flat or with friends at the end of the school day.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    sorry, i didn't mean to end so abruptly.

to help combat the tiredness we also added more protein to his snack.

i observed that most kids enjoyed being in primary school. at kennedy the p1's are matched with p6 kids who take them to their buses (or parents) during the first three or four weeks. that helps integrate them into the school and helps them feel someone is looking out for them besides the teachers.

hope this helps.

snagito is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for replying dimsum mum. Yes, it will be Kennedy. The higher protein snack sounds like a very good idea and I will keep that in mind, also the low key afternoon activities.

I guess I'm really wondering how they cope with an increased class size and also a relatively large school. My son is will be one of the youngest in his class. I know some of the other ESF primaries are smaller and I am wondering if he'd be better off at one of those - one that has only 2 classes with 30 kids in each [Of course then we'd have to move but given the rapidly fluctuating rental situation that could be possible too!]

There are obviously big positives about being in a larger primary like Kennedy - I'm thinking of the sports facilities. But would the number of children be overwhelming for a shyer child? Do the classes have much to do with each other or is it pretty much just you and the 29 other children in the class that matter in the primary years..And then therefore it makes no difference how many children in total in your school year?

I am probably putting far too much thought into this but would be ever so grateful for any input!

rani is offline Administrator
    I was a bit nervous too, but D and most of his friends adjusted fairly easily to Kennedy. I think it helped they knew so many familiar faces in the playground and a couple in their class. Would recommend organizing playdates with other friends who are going to Kennedy, and if he does have a best friend you can request that they put them in the same class. D's Y1 teacher was amazing and the kids adored her, which made the transition so much easier. We still continued with our after-school activities. We only did two a week and the rest were playdates. But I did notice by Friday, he was pooped and would just prefer to crash on the sofa and watch cartoons.

I do feel that Kennedy is a big school and wish it was smaller and more intimate like Glenealy. But the facilities are better and the kids do enjoy using Stanley Ho's pool and grounds.

They don't tend to do joint activities with the other Y1 classes. You can also volunteer in your child's class and see how he's getting on.

HTH