Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bradbury (ESF) or international school?

karen bt is offline Registered User
    Hi, my son goes to the French School, year 4 International stream. We arrived Aug 2008 and had applied for Bradbury, GSIS and FIS, all done through husbands work, who also pay for debentures etc, so very lucky there.
    Son 'failed' the interview for GSIS, but was offered interview at FIS 2 weeks later and subsequently offered a place. No word was heard from Bradbury (and yes, you do have to live within the catchment for each ESF school we were told).
    Have no problems with FIS, there are 3 streams, International, Bilingual and French.
    French is taught 3 times a week (for sons age anyway, not sure on other years) and Mandarin is once a week, with the option of having extra curricular lessons (obviously costs money)
    Jurin - are you still waiting for places? Are you in HK yet?

capricorn is offline Registered User
    Hi, Karen:
    We are moving to HK this summer. I have put applications in 4 schools including FIS (international stream), HKIS, Canadian international and ESF. FIS requires my 5 years boy to write 5 sentences with right capitals letters, read an article and to talk about it and a brief self introduction as the examination to get into the school. Obviously my kindergarten son is not able to do that, plus there is a long waiting list. We basically got rejected at front. Is FIS really tough on academics? Do students feel pressure or have a lot of work to do? Me and my husband are debating about this. I need to hear from parents' point of views and we might try again next year.
    ESF told us that there is no space for any students so far. They won't give me any answer until June. How about HKIS? Can anyone tell me more about HKIS and Canadian international school?
    Thanks.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    My oldest is 5 and currently at ESF (born in 2004). Year 1 and Year 2 spots are hard to get by but most likely openings will occur over the summer holiday, and since you're basically looking at August, you have no option to wait (but keep yourself in the loop I would say). I assume your child speak English, because that is a requirement for ESF. Also Woodlands Preschools in Aberdeen offers a Year 1 and Year 2 Primary program so you may want to look into that too. If you can get a spot there you can transfer right into another Year 1 or 2 class once available. HKIS is US curriculum and quite difficult to get into without debentures and sibling priority. My friends, all American, didn't even get a spot while my other friend (all non-American) got a spot with debenture. Even though my kids are American, I can't really find myself in the religious background of the school, nor am I willing to pay $160k a year for a full day program. I just don't believe you get 3 times "more" or "better" than what you get in ESF, simply put. HK Academy is another option but also wait lists, class sizes are small and most people very happy. Do you already know where you are going to live because that would be important for ESF. Canadian also not easy to get into, but I only know people in reception. Debentures can make a major difference, but we had none. We were able to apply through regular Central Year 1 applications for ESF.

karen bt is offline Registered User
    The homework situation at FIS did shock me at first, after coming from UK with termly homework and only 10 spellings a week, he then started having spellings, sentences, literacy, maths, french, science and reading! A lot to fit in but they have early days on a Weds! He's used to it now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12