Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bradbury (ESF) or international school?

juringoh is offline Registered User

Bradbury (ESF) or international school?

Would like to know if anyone has feedback on Bradbury (ESF) or French International school (eng section) ???
    Do these schools teach "pin yin" instead of trad chinese in their mandarin classes?
    Any other international schools that you would recommend?
    My son is 6 this year and we will be moving to HKG soon.
    Any input is very much appreciated!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Plenty of other options. Please note that ESF schools go by catchment area, so in order to go to Bradbury you have to live in a certain district (which includes Stanley / Repulse Bay in this case). So until you know where you're going to live you cannot say for certain that Bradbury will be your school. We're right on the border, and therefore my oldest will go to Quarry Bay instead. Other options are Hong Kong International School, Canadian International School, Hong Kong Academy, German Swiss (see other thread on kids website about their possible move) and many more.

No school is particulary better than another, meaning, it very well depends on your child and what's right for your child may not be right for mine. It also depends on the the (secondary) language thought at the schools (and your wishes) and the commute to your home. And of course, your budget. There is quite a big range from about $60k a year for ESF up to over $160k for HKIS. Also some school have (pretty steep) debentures.

According to my information, French is very hard to get into if you're not French (and/or French speaking e.g. Belgium, Switzerland, etc.) since those children get priority even in the bilingual French / English stream. I don't think FIS has an English stream only, it's either French or French / English (where my friend's kids go and she had difficulty getting them in since she's from Belgium and French get priority over other French speaking nationals).

There is a South China Morning Post school guide, I don't have the latest version (only on paper) but I am sure somebody can send it to you.

Neha is offline Banned
    u can find the SCMP guide on Milkmonsters blog

Hi. We are thinking about staying at either Happy Valley or North Point. I will look up SCMP. Thank you very much for the info.

rani is offline Administrator
    My son is at an ESF school. They have daily Mandarin classes, 30mins for the younger ones and 45 mins for the older kids. Yes they teach Pin Yin.

Thank you very much. The info has been helpful. Appreciate it.

Hi - Anyone that are waiting list and receive any news on Bradbury school admission? It seems that their waiting list is extremely long and it's almost impossible to get a place....:-( Jurin

capricorn is offline Registered User
    We are moving to Hong Kong this summer as well. I have put applications to HKIS, Canadian International school, ESF and French international (International stream). All the schools have long waiting lists and all the schools required exams and interviews on my 5-years-old and 7-years-old sons. French international in international stream requires debentures over one year (meaning putting your money in school for one year before your kids boot up to the top priority) vs. optional for other schools. French international in international streams and ESF in Bradbury are almost impossible to get in. My kids are French, they will have no problem to go to French school in "French stream", because French government has to take French kids but not the international stream. Bradbury won't give out space or notification until June....so we pretty much have two choices left....I am a bit overwhelmed by international schools culture in Hong Kong. I guess I need to get my kids ready for that....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast