Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Do you use an air purifier?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Do you use an air purifier?

We just moved to HK and are living in an area that is considered to have pretty high pollution (Tsuen Wan). We also have a 10 week old baby. We are looking at getting an air purifier for his room (when he moves into it) and were just wondering what experience other people had with them and if you have them at all.
    Does this mean we have to keep the windows closed and the air conditioner on (expensive!) ?
    I saw some kinds here - 3M, Sharp were among the best names. They were about $1700-2300HKD. I would like to avoid paying $4000-6000 as I saw that`s what some people pay. Is there a big difference in quality? What should I be looking for? And how about filters, how much are they and how often do they need changing?
    Thanks for all of your advice. I`m just a little nervous about the pollution affecting my baby`s health.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    There are lots of threads on this website about air purifiers, but we have the IQ Air Filter System sold at Bumps to Babes, Mothercare HK etc...It's about $11,000 HKD and it's only in my son's bedroom. It's on 24 hours a day whether windows are open or closed, whether the aircon is on or off. we have additional air purifiers around the house (our bedroom and living room), but they are only around $3000 HKD/each.

spockey is offline Registered User
    We use the Sharp and it makes a HUGE difference.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    Never thought I'd need an air purifier but my 2 year old daughter had been coughing a lot so we got one for her room. We only have it on at night with the dehumidifier on in the day. It has made a big difference. Felt the IQ one was too expensive so we got the Sharp one from Fortress for $3000.

flubber is offline Registered User
    The Sharp ones are fantastic. If you have a lower budget, go for the older versions from Sharp. You still get the same thing except it's larger and not as fancy/shiny.

I leave it on all the time at a low mode but when I really need a quick "spruce" of the air, I turn it on high and within a few minutes you can tell the difference.

jaetee is offline Registered User
    We use the Sharp ones as well. The ones we have were made in Japan, not China (they sell both types at Fortress) - I was told by several people that the ones made in Japan though more expensive are better quality than the ones made in China. They were about $2980 each.
    Last edited by jaetee; 03-26-2009 at 08:49 AM.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User
    Does anyone have the Model number of the sharp one? I'd be interested in getting one. Thanks!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I just bought a Sharp one, model FU-P40S for $1780 at Direct Sales Centre. It's a made in China one, but most things are these days so....