Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What health insurance do you have?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

What health insurance do you have?

My husband and I are looking into private health insurance for us and our baby. Our two main options are this point are AIG and Manulife. I know for AIG, they will pay 70% of your medical costs in private hospitals and some dental. I still have to read the policy (yawn).
    Just wondering what kind of insurance you all have and what you think of it.
    By the way, my husband`s company is paying for it, but I don`t think they`ll pay for anything too fancy. What we have been looking at is about 2-3000 USD.
    Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by Shenzhennifer; 03-25-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling

rani is offline Administrator
    We used to be with William Russell, which was pretty good. Claims were processed efficiently and they were always responsive on email. But then they raised their premiums for Asia and created a new Orchid rate, which made it quite expensive. We're now with Healthcare International. The cover is much better than WR including maternity, and the premiums are low . However, I haven't put in a claim yet, can't comment on that. Also have a look at Bupa International or you can even speak to a broker like Pacific Prime. Click on the red banner on the side.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi, my health insurance is provided by my employer and is with ACE Limited (Ace Insurance Hong Kong - Ace Hong Kong ? ace insurance company in Hong Kong Insurance, phone: 3191 6222). The benefits are very good. I won't post the specifics of what is covered as I don't know if the policies are individually negotiated with different employers but I can say that the maternity cover is enough to cover a private doctor and private room at Matilda. The dental was high enough to cover replacement of two veneers recently. Our policy is a corporate expatriate policy but perhaps if your/your husband's employer was paying you could also access the corporate policy? Anyway, give them a call.

I think you are smart to be very careful when evaluating the different policies. Medical costs in HK can be huge and even having to pay 30% of a private hospital bill can add up to a lot. My son was recently admitted to a private hospital for 36 hours at a cost of around HK22,000! Also, be aware that the doctors charge by room type so they charge you more if you are in a private room even though they might be providing exactly the same service to a person in the semi-private room next door.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    sorry but the link I tried to post didn't work - doh! Just google Ace Insurance Hong Kong.

BabyC is offline Registered User
    hi, try IHI. my husband and I used IHI when we were working in Tokyo and it was provided by my husband's employer. It has a very comprehensive coverage.

We are using AIA now, the cover isn't bad but not as good as IHI

mela is offline Registered User
    Hi

I use Bupa International and I think it's the best insurer I've ever had. They pay for most of the private treatment/dental expenses up to a limit and have very good maternity cover. We are insured through work so not sure what the individual rates are. Hospital bills are directly settled and for docs claims it takes about 2 weeks to get the money back.
    My previous insurance was expacare and they were rubbish

leeconnie is offline Registered User
    Is the insurance of Bupa expensive?

mela is offline Registered User
    I have no idea as it's paid by my company but visit their website - you need to google bupa international and they have special calculators so you can check how much your plan will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast