Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

BEWARE - Internet Baby Item Sites Abroad

Chilli is offline Registered User

BEWARE - Internet Baby Item Sites Abroad

Just thought I would share my personal experience. As we all know baby products in HK are a lot more expensive and limited in choice than the UK, US etc. If like me you are thinking of saving some cash from websites based abroad - do your research very carefully! Basically I ordered some baby stuff from a UK internet website only to discover today that it went into liquidation 2 days ago! They told me that my payment had not gone through and so I cancelled and forgot about it. I found out from my bank that they had actually charged my credit card a month ago! I now have to chase the liquidators and hopefully will get refunded by my bank - but this is unnecessary hassle when pregnant. Luckily I have plenty of time to re-order everything from reputable companies in HK. Just thought I would warn any others about a potentially expensive mistake!

MLBW Guest
    It might be very hard to research about companies that have an online storefront, only though. And even "healthy seeming" companies are folding in this economy. The only way to know for sure would be to have access to their books and check their financial situation out--but if they aren't a publicly traded company getting that sort of information would likely prove difficult. I'm sorry that you've had trouble with your order...that does sound like a big hassle. As, I'm saying, in this economy even companies and sites that seem solid could close out of the blue--it's happening everywhere--even in HK.

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    Hi Chilli,

Which Online baby shop went into liquidation?

Chilli is offline Registered User
    Two Left Feet - there was a also another one called Bebe Amour. The point about doing research was that the particular company was investigated on a TV consumer programme which had quite a bit of publicity. Obviously as I don't live in the UK anymore I was not aware of this but could have found out by doing a simple internet search and reading various blogs.

piper is offline Registered User
    Hi Chilli,

I have to order baby items especially furniture here, and am having a difficult time finding items. B2B and Mothercare is so expensive. I'm looking for a changing table (with wheels) and can't seem to find one here in Hk. IKea didnt have one.

What companies did you find in HK

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    Hi Piper, Boori change tables have wheels - and I have seen Boori advertised on geobaby.

Thanks for the info Chilli.