Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

move to HK from Shanghai

sucinsha is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay

move to HK from Shanghai

Hi ladies,

after having lived two years in Shanghai (and two years in Singapore before) we will be moving to HK in two months with our now 16 months old son.

We currently live in a "concrete jungle" in a building with 62 levels so I am preferrably looking at places which have more natural and family oriented life style to offer. also my husband and I like outdoor sports (I need to find horse riding facilities somewhere!)- so plenty to consider.

We had a first glance at areas and are currently wondering whether Clearwater Bay/Saikung, Discovery Bay or Repulse Bay would be the best places to look at. We are looking at buying one car (which I would use) so my husband has to commute with public transport to Central and this should not be too inconvenient for him..

I would highly appreciate any recommendations / experiences you have and look forward to your replies!!

Warm regards

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    Welcome to HK !
    If you like Discovery Bay, you'll find lots of expats there, child friendly, good transportation, just have to get used to commute with a ferry... but no car allowed there.
    Coming from Clearwater Bay/Saikung can be quite long and your husband might have to do one bit by taxi, then by bus, then my MTR to join Central, depending on the house/appartment you find.
    Repulse Bay is easy to commute from/to Central, is in a green area, easy to drive to.
    If you go a bit more in the south like Stanley and around, can be a nice place to live in, with lots of families and kids around. Without being in the busy city, Central is not very far (with all the conveniences you need with a little one).
    Depending on your budget, you can have a look at Cyberport in the West area (Pok Fu Lam). Big buildings but opened area, basic shops, parkings etc...
    Concerning the horse riding... you could find some information on the following site :
    The Hong Kong Equestrian Federation (English Version) - Directory

Hope it helps ! Good luck for your move !

southside852 is offline Registered User
    repulse bay, tai tam and redhill are extremely child-friendly and are easy to get to Central.