Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to obtain Duel citizenship in Hong Kong?

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

How to obtain Duel citizenship in Hong Kong?

Hello my husband and i are from Canada and having our first baby in Hong Kong in June....Anyways I have a question, we have decided to get duel citizenship, Canadian and Hong kong. What do I have to do on the Hong kong end for this? I know all about getting the Canadian Citizenship Card and Passport , but I dont know what to do for Hong Kong....I also know that after the baby is born I need to get the Hong Kong Birth Certificate, and I know how to do that from this web site.

So what are the steps that I have to take after I get the babies birth certificate? Also about getting a Hong Kong passport for my little baby? I read the Hong Kong gov. web site but Im kinda confused about if I need to get the baby the Pernament Idenity card first, as it says that you have to be 11 years of age for this.

I wanted to get the Hong Kong passport for the baby (just to be able to travel) because for the Canadian Citizenship I heard it can take as long as 12-14 months (and you need this to obtain a Canadian Passport) and I want to bring my baby home to canada for a visit before that.

Thank everyone! :)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Hi, I'm from Canada too (though my husband is Japanese), and our baby was born in China. I wasn't aware that the baby can get dual citizenship based on birthplace here when the parents are both foreigners- are you sure about that?
    Second, don't worry about travelling. You can get the Canadian passport in about a month. Basically after the baby is born, take him/her with your husband(though I think this is not mandatory but they may call for an interview at any time where all 3 of you have to be present) with your passport application AS WELL AS your citizenship application. Even though the citizenship app takes 12-14 months, you can still get the passport. It just takes a little bit longer than adult ones. So despite what the applications say, you just apply for both at the same time and it's all good. Just make sure you say on your pp app which day you are traveling. I think they need to know that you need a passport by a certain date which is why they are able to give it before it issue the baby's birth certificate.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    I think one of the parents have to be a permanent (3-star) ID holder and have a HK passport before you can get a HKSAR passport for your child. Both our children have a Canadian passport and a HKSAR passport.
    ---

Assuming you are eligible for a HKSAR passport, you fill up the application forms for the HKID and the HKSAR passport at the same time. Forms can be downloaded from this site:
    GovHK: HKSAR Passport
    You'll also read about eligibility criteria for a HKSAR passport.

With regard to a Canadian passport... if you need to travel very soon, I believe the consulate can grant your child a temporary passport. I can't remember the exact details but when I was applying for the passport for my daughter, the lady at the counter explained what I could do if we needed to travel before the passport was ready. (We used the HKSAR passport in the meantime, though, instead of applying for a temporary one).

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    Good question as I thought that if your baby is born here (and the parents aren't permanent residents) that the baby doesn't have any more rights than the parents? Does anybody know if this is true/untrue?

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    I just wanted to add that there's a booklet at the Canadian Consulate that talks about dual citizenship. Because while the Canadian government allows for dual citizenship, some countries do not and there are "things to note" with dual citizenship. As far as I know China (and therefore, HK) does not allow for dual citizenship, but many people here have multiple passports (Australian, UK, Canadian, etc.).

lylee is offline Registered User
    yes, you can apply for the citizenship card & passport at the same time. that's what we did. however, in order for them to process the passport, they need an itinerary proof with date of travel from the travel agent... if, like us, you don't know the exact date when you'll be traveling yet, just ask the agent to book any flight (*choose tickets which can be refunded without penalty) & then cancel that booking once the passport has been issued.

SyL
    SyL is offline Registered User
    Baby is eligible for HK citizenship if he/she is born in HK and ONE parent is of Chinese origin.

My baby was born on Feb 19 and passport issued March 5. But my husband works FASSSST and had the necessary paperwork so that we can run by the Immigration Tower on the day of my hospital discharge (no kidding!).

MLBW Guest
    It's good to note that HK is not a separate country--it was a British colony form 1841 until 1997 and then was returned to Mainland China as a "special administrative region." So, Hong Kong does not issue citizenship. Hong Kong issues residency. So, residency is one issue. HKID card holders have residency--either temporary or permanent and there are stipulations on who can apply for which and every individual case is different.

In order to gain citizenship you're talking about being a citizen of Mainland China--local Chinese people who were born in Hong Kong and in some cases those of Chinese descent that are born overseas have or can acquire Chinese citizenship. My husband falls into this category and in addition to a HKID permanent residency card he also has a card that signifies that he is a Chinese citizen and holds a Hong Kong passport.

It is rare for those who are not of Chinese descent to actually have Chinese citizenship.

Holding a passport is different than citizenship and the details of getting one in Hong Kong vary by your country of citizenship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast