Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

curtain cord - tragic death

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

curtain cord - tragic death

Dear all

some of you may not be aware, but last Tuesday an 18-mth-old little boy died in Discovery Bay, strangled by a curtain cord. There are conflicting reports as to how it happened (whether he was in his cot or whether he was left alone playing), but what is certain is that dangling curtain cords are a death-trap. I wrap mine around hooks, but I have to confess that sometimes I'm a bit lazy about it. Well, no more!

I just wanted to let everyone know about this potential lethal hazard in our homes. Get to Park n Shop today and buy stick on hooks to wrap your cords around! Ikea have cord shorteners, but they didn't work for my Roman blind cords (the cords were too thick).

My heart goes out to the poor parents.

Here are a couple of news reports. I haven't seen anything in the SCMP but I suppose it must have been in it.

Toddler Dies After Being Found With Cord Around His Neck On Family Yacht Off Hong Kong | World News | Sky News

British toddler dies after strangling himself with curtain cord on parents' luxury yacht | Mail Online

Take care, everyone.
    Honkyblues

rani is offline Administrator

Thanks HonkeyBlues for posting this. It's such a tragic story, and our thoughts are with the family.

We've published the Baby Proofing articles written by Yvonne Heavyside on the front page. Hope everyone will take a few minutes to read through them and take the necessary steps to baby proof their homes.

geomum is offline Registered User

This is really tragic, my heart goes out for the parents. We never leave our daughter napping alone, always check up on her every 20- 30 mins to see she is alright. I think the helper should be charged with neglect in this case, the toddler would have cried for help when he was suffocating. How could she leave him alone for 90 mins????

Neha is offline Banned

Our son sleeps in his room we dont go in and check every 20 mins to see if he is ok. We have a monitor and when he is awake he calls us out and we go get him.

kharel is offline Registered User

Slightly un-fair to blame the helper!! - its our responsibility as parents to ensure nothing is within reach of our chidlrens cots!!

zac08 is offline Registered User

totally agree with neha and kharel. if there is nothing dangerous within reach of the child, i don't see why the helper should have had to check him every whatever minutes. by that logic, are you up every 20 min in the middle of the night to check on your daughter?

geomum is offline Registered User

Perhaps we are very cautious about our daughter's safety so check every now and then to make sure she is alright.
    Of course I agree that its the parents resonsibility to make sure their child is safe and protected. But many people do pay their helpers to share this responsibility and trust them completely with their precious little ones. And in this case if the helper wasn't doing her job properly and it has resulted in a serious tragedy like this she should be charged with neglect.
    Also things dangling about around the cot is not the only way a child can get hurt.
    Zac08 I co sleep with my daughter at night and even if I wasnt I would still check on her every few hours. I know many mums who do the same. And as it is most kids nap for a short time during the day (Often unpredictable how long) and night time they sleep longer and deeper.

Last edited by geomum; 03-31-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Neha is offline Banned

Nobody is saying that the helper should not be held responsible. But living on a boat with a small kid is a risk in itself according to me. I can just imagine how paranoid I would be on that boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast