Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breast Feeding and Antibiotics

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Breast Feeding and Antibiotics

I am exclusively breast feeding my 10 day old baby and unfortunately have to start a course of antibiotics to fight an infection. My GP says that the antiobiotics he has prescribed me are very mild and safe for breastfeeding mothers/babies. I also contacted my baby's pediatrician who told me that what I should do for double precautionary measures is to get prescribed an antibiotic which I only have to take twice a day, which I did. She said that in the feed right before I take the antibiotic, I should feed only on one breast and pump the milk from the other breast. At the next feed, 3 hours later, I should feed my baby the EBM and not from the breast. And then at the next feed the following 3 hours later (i.e 6 hours after I have taking the antibiotic), I can feed normally again on both breasts. The cycle will then repeat itself when it is time to take my next antibiotic pill.

The questions I have are:

1.At the time of the feed when I feed my baby the EBM, as I won't be feeding from my breasts, should I pump on both my breasts and throw out that milk?

2. Has anyone else had experience with taking antibiotics and breastfeeding? How have you dealt with it?

3. Also, I am afraid that my baby may not be getting enough when he feeds only on one breast (even though he sucks for almost 30 minutes each time) and also when he is taking the EBM as I only gave birth to him 10 days ago and have not been able to express that much out of one breast. I guess the solution would be to supplement with formula if he gets excessively fussy and cries a lot, is that right?

Any feedback/advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Regarding #2 --

I've had a couple of occasions where I had to take a course of antibiotics and in both instances I never stopped breastfeeding. I made it VERY clear to the doctor/s who prescribed the meds that I'm breastfeeding and to make sure that the prescribed antibiotics were safe for me to continue breastfeeding.

The doctors noted that and prescribed a course that was safe for nursing mothers to take. I never bothered to take additional measures, but just breastfed as usual.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    I had the same experience as Buckeroo - needed to take a few courses of antibiotics and made it very, very clear to the doctor who prescribed the medicine that I was breastfeeding, and also double-checked with the pharmacist when they dispensed the medication. I continued to breastfeed as usual. One thing the doctor did say was to watch my baby for any side effects from the antibiotic, eg, a bit of diarrhoea, but she was fine.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    No. 1, personally, I wouldn't throw it out if your Doc has said the antibiotics are compatible

No. 2 - I'm currently on antibiotics (four times a day) for a post partum infection and BF a 3 week old. I had a first course orally, then once a day injections and am now on an additional oral course. My OB, GP and Ped were all completely fine with my BF'ing normally and didn't give me any instructions about expressing.

Dr Jack Newman's site goes into detail on different types of medication and BF so you could always check there if you want more detail - he's a leading authority on BF.

3. My bub only ever feeds from one breast at a sitting so I top up with EBM if I want to make sure he's had enough in the evening (I get this from expressing in the morning between feeds when my supply is strongest). Nothing wrong with supplementing with formula, but I wouldn't think there was a need if you had enough EBM.

Hope that helps!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Did either of your doctors look up the drug in a book called Medications and Mothers Milk by Dr. Thomas Hale? This book is the authority on drugs taken while breastfeeding.

Unfortunately I'm in England and don't have the book with me. Please contact Maggie on 2817-7475 or [email protected] and she'll be able to look up the exact drug for you. The actual drug name is required as there are many, many antibiotics these days and while most are no problem while breastfeeding one or two are.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

joannek is offline Registered User
    for those of you who are taking antibiotics while breastfeeding, pls remember to also take your probiotics (2 hrs apart from you anti-biotics) to keep your good yeast level high. cos antibiotics also kill the good yeast in your body & there's always a chance of getting thrush (yeast infection) in your breast or "down under" if your good yeast levels are low. also good for your bb to keep his/her good yeast levels high, too.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Hi support what Joannek has said, both me and my daughter were prescribed antibiotics within the first 6 months of her being born. She had yeast infections on her nappy area and mouth which was hard to treat for a while (Until we took probiotics, which really helped). So highly recommend you taking probiotics and giving them to your baby as well, while you are taking antibiotics (Since you are breastfeeding).
    Answering your question, I did not stop breastfeeding while I was taking antibiotics and niether my daughter's Paed nor my Ob/ Gyn told me not to breastfeeding directly and pump instead.

joannek is offline Registered User
    if your baby is newborn, taking probiotic yourself is probably good enough. it's difficult to give newborn probiotics as you don't know how much is too much.

my 3 weeks old is currrently on antibiotics. i take 3 times the regular dose so she gets it in the breastmilk. but you might also see slime in bb's poo cos of the yeast.