Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Am I feeding my baby too much???

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Am I feeding my baby too much???

My baby is 7 months old and weights 9.2 kgs. I formula feed her about 180 mL 5 times a day but have recently changed to 150 mL 5 times a day with 1/2 jar fruit and rice cereal in morning and 1/2 jar vegtables and rice cereal for dinner. My concern is that she seems pretty hungry with the changes. I am also worried that her being overweight as an infant will cause her to have problems as a tennager and adult. The doctor told me that I don't have to change anything and that she will stop when she's full but I have never seen her stop eating Does anybody have any suggestions? She is in the 90th percentile for her weight. Thanks

Neha is offline Banned

Once when she is more active like cruising , crawling, walking then the weight increase wont be that much and it will probably level off. U shouldnot worry about it.

I wish my son ate that well.

I think upto a year u should do nothing.

We have a friend whose daughter also was a good eater and she would drink her formula as water so what she started doing is diluting the formula 2 o of water with 1 oz of milk( Well this was when the girl was 18 months ) or once she turns 1 u can switch to fresh milk.

Dont worry

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

My friend`s daughter was VERY pudgy when she was that old. Neha is right that when your daughter starts being more active like crawling and walking, her weight will even out more. You`ll see the difference.
    Besides, chubby babies are adorable~

putput is offline Registered User

...and when babies stop eating when they're teething or unwell, for example, we wish we'd never questioned whether we were overfeeding our little ones! My baby girl is very ill at the moment and I'd do anything to have her eat the way she used to!!! Your baby's eating as much as she's comfortable with at the moment. She'll go through many different phases over the next few months, sometimes wanting more, sometimes less, then only wanting finger foods and hard foods, then refusing what she once loved... and each step of the way, it'll cause fresh concern!!!

aussie mum is offline Registered User

keep feeding her.
    i have a chubby one too. He was 11.2kg at 6.5months old. At 7 months of age he was having 4 milk feeds around 240ml each plus substantial breakfast, lunch and dinner. quite a bit more than your LO. He won't eat if he doesn't want to though.
    Our Dr and Yvonne Heavyside have both confirmed its absolutely fine and rationally I know that it is.....but its hard sometimes when people comment.
    If he is still really chubby at 2 yrs of age then maybe I'll get some advice then.
    I agree with Shenzhennifer - chubby babies are adorable!!

carang is offline Registered User

holy moly! my 4 year old is only 13kg! he's too thin...he doesn't like to eat.

my daughter is 2 (exactly 2 yrs between them) and she's 13kg, too! she eats everything and anything.

don't worry about it...your little one is still a baby! you cannot put a baby on a "diet" whether you call it that or not. as everyone else has said, your baby will stop when he's full (or he'll vomit some of it up).

relax! enjoy your baby! it could all change after the baby hits one and decides that he can control some of what he eats.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

Holy moly is right. My 3yr old weighs 13.5kg and his little brother is 9 months old now - 12.4kg!!! He is not just chubby though. Very tall as well. Just a big baby. Very big ;-)

sherwes is offline Registered User

Hi, my baby loves his food and drink and was in the 90th percentile at 7 months old. I thought he was just so cute, cuddly and chubby! He had lovely fat rolls on his legs and even mini fat rolls on his wrists!

He started walking at 12 months and quickly lost weight after that. Then, this winter, he has had quite a few colds and lost his appetite for periods as a result. At 16 months he is now quite skinny and around the 55th percentile for weight (even though he is very tall for his age).

Therefore I wouldn't worry at all. Just feed your baby as much as she wants to eat. She will soon burn it off once she starts to move around more. Once she is a toddler she will no doubt get all of the usual toddler colds and sniffles (sad to say) and she will lose a bit of weight over this period too I expect.

I think that the time for concern about weight is if you have a chubby 3 year old who eats junk all of the time. So long as you are feeding your baby healthy food just let her eat as much as she wants.