Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

what do you think about HK people?

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Very interesting insights...I had never thought about these before...

Well my hubby and I grew up in mainland China and migrated to Australia years ago. Both of my kids were born in Australia. So I consider ourselves to be half Chinese, half Australians. However, since we moved to hk, I'm inclined to regard ourselves as more Chinese(I had wanted to stay closer to the hk people...) No wonder every time when the locals approach us, they always ask in English: Koreans? Japanese? I said, no, we are Chinese. I've never picked up any sign of disapproval(maybe they hide it very well). Then they keep on chatting to my kids in English, even I'm talking to my kids in Mandarin. My point is, I am proud of being a mainlander and, since we moved to hk, I didn't feel being looked down upon in any way. That's why I want to find out more about this locals' adverse/resentful/hostile sentiment towards the mainlanders.

Honestly, just as many ladies have already pointed out, I know many mainlanders don't like hkers either. However, to me, I don't really care who hates who and who likes who. I am only here to make money and save money(already passed the excessive spending phase), then we'll leave...The heavy pollution and crowds and crowds of people are simply not to my liking...

Little Monster is offline Registered User
    This is a very very interesting topic. Thanks for posting. Will comment more tomorrow. time for bed now.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I like this topic too, despite it`s edge to potentially offend some people...
    When I lived in SZ, I loved my trips to HK - things just seemed more civilized, I could relate more, I felt more at home, things were more westernized, I could speak English. I wanted to live in HK and I hated SZ.
    Now, thinking back, I realise that it depends where you`re coming from. I was coming from mainland (from apparently the most civilized and progressive city in China), so HK looked civilised. I`m from Toronto and we have a huuuuuge Chinese population and a large Chinatown. MOST of the Chinese in Toronto area and even in Canada are from HK. They came over at various times, more notably before the China takeover in 97(was it?). And when you`re in Chinatown, boy do you stand out from the Chinese. People regard THEM as barbaric, uncouth, wild, in comparison to your regular joe canuck. So I just think it`s funny to see how I myself placed the HKers above the mainlanders, whereas when I was in Canada, the Chinese were just that - the Chinese, not the HKers or the Mainlanders.
    Now I see HK in a different light, bc I`m living here, but also because I`m not spending my time in TST or Central. Life`s a lot different outside of the centres.
    But materialistic or not... in my experience people over here (east asia) love brand names. I wouldn`t think twice if I saw someone carrying a LV bag. In Japan, if you don`t have something LV hanging off of you, you just don`t get it. If I see that in Thailand, I think it`s a copy, but the same thought prevails - they love the brand names. Is that materialistic? I don`t know, I don`t think so. But I do think it`s an Asian thing. Not an I-grew-up-in-Aus-but-my-grandmother`s-Korean thing, but a `born-and-bred` kinda thing.

Little Monster is offline Registered User
    I was born in China, grew up in Hong Kong and educated in the States. I still consider myself 100% Chinese. I am proud to tell others about my China origin. I do think that HKers have a negative stereotype on the mainlanders, however not because of their mainland origin, but mainly because of their habitual behaviours which are generally not accepted by a comparatively more civilized environment. As some mentioned, 1) spitting 2) weird fashion sense 3) don't respect the value of lining up 4) talk too loud even in public 5) those with loads of cash are too arrogant to show their wealth, etc. HKers are actually discriminating these uncivilized behaviours, not necessarily because of their mainland origin.
    I am especially mad at those ppl who, without any reasonable ground, assume some wrong behaviours to be done by mainlanders. This is quite unfair to the mainlanders and I will be the first one to confront those ppl for their stupidity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12