Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Transport to the hospital when you are in labor

Matty is offline Registered User
    I did the taxi ride for my first birth and didn't think twice about it.
    Taxi driver didn't seem fazed at all.
    My water had broken at the beginning of labour, and was a slow trickle for hours.

2nd time, my water broke at the very end, just before I started to push, and boy was it a gush! Would have made a nice mess of our car if it had happened on the way.

Don't worry, taxi's have nice rubber floors.

MLBW Guest
    As I understand from the news reports lately, ambulances are overtaxed in this city. So people who really need an ambulance (bleeding profusely, heart-attack, cannot breathe etc.) are not getting responded to quickly enough. Labor, in most cases, is not an emergency. Labor is an expected event and unless you are losing blood or having other alarming pains (besides contractions) I think it is not right to call an ambulance. On the news a few weeks ago they were talking about how recently several incidents have happened where the ambulance has even broken down in transit to the hospital--because the fleet is old and has not been replaced by newer vehicles. The same news report was talking about how people are calling for the ambulance for things like constipation. So, as long as taxis are willing and able to get you to the hospital safely, it would benefit the whole community if you didn't further tax the already over-strapped ambulance system unless you truly have a life-threatening emergency going on.

miriam228 is offline Registered User
    I totally agree with MLBW!!!

(I once saw my neighbor in an ambulance down where we lived. She told me she tripped and had a small cut on her ankle!!!!!!!!!)

solidstars is offline Registered User
    my taxi driver was really nice and drove really quickly (within the law) to our hospital!

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    I'd have no hesitation whatsoever calling an ambulance if I was moving quickly through the labour and would just use a towel under me in a cab if I thought there was plenty of time to get me to the hospital.

LittleMi is offline Registered User
    My doctor told me to get to the hospital asap when my contractions start but he mentioned that I cannot call an ambulance as they will only take you to public hospitals, not private ones. Not sure how true this is....just something he mentioned...?

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    i know that they have to take you to the nearest hospital so could be true...not sure though.

Portia is offline Registered User
    I think it could well be true that an ambulance will take you to Accident and Emergency at the nearest public hospital. After all, if it's so urgent, they are going to get you to the nearest place they are sure you can get attention.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast