Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shopping for the newborn

deemama is offline Registered User

Question Shopping for the newborn

Hello everyone, im a first time mother. I understand that there are three full range baby shops in HK that provide everything a newborn needs.. Eugene, Bumps to Babe and Mother Care. Are there more around that have comprehensive selection as well? wonder which shop is better with choices of selection and service for a one stop shop!? i plan to go one of these weekends and buy the whole nursery and all the little gadgets, clothes, pram etc etc.

Also, im currently 18 weeks, when is a good time to do this one weekend shopping? i was told that i shouldnt start too early but then i should not leave it till too late as the baby may pop out early!? Thanks very much!

Best wishes
    Dee Dee

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

Yes, you're right. I think I did my shopping around 30 weeks and didn't buy too much - only necessities as I guess I am bit superstitious about buying before the baby is born.

B2B, Mothercare and Eugene's have it all - all the stuff is mostly imported so you will of course pay a bit more. B2B has mix of US and UK while Mothercare is all UK since that's where the flagship store is. Eugene's has a mix of Asia, US and UK. I think B2B and Mothercare (lee Gardens Two has a great store!) are the best though and I find the staff at Eugene's miserable and unfriendly so I always hate to give them my money. Chicco (I like the Lee Gardens Two location the best) also has a range of cribs, strollers, nusery and newborn stuff -- it's from Italy and is of very good quality. More local and good quality is Wing On.

But if I had to chose one, I would do B2B in Horizon Plaza. I think the staff is most knowledgeable there and it has the most stuff on display. If you have friends who have been through this already, ask them what they have found to be stuff that is essential that first month and what products that have liked. They will be your best resource! There area also some threads here about what people have found to be essential when the baby is first born.

Hope this helps!

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    I am currently 24 weeks with our second baby, so we didn't need too much as we had plenty of items from our first. However, we did need a second cot, second car seat etc. I knew what I wanted and did some phoning around to get the best prices. In the end, in conjunction with our 7.5% discount at B2B, they ended up being the cheapest. We love B2B in Horizon Plaza as well, not only is it the closest to us, but we always end up back there as they have the largest range, good and friendly service, and as I mentioned, worked out the cheapest. You get the 7.5% discount if you spend a certain amount within a certain period. I think it is something like $5K in 3 months, but can't remember for sure. If you plan on spending up big, this might be something to ask them about.

I wouldn't recommend leaving things too late, if some places don't have stock of a cot you want, it can take 2 - 3 months to order in. Just something to think about so you don't miss out on what you want, simply because you have left it too late. This is why we have just done all our purchasing now.

Good luck with everything, and congrats on the pregnancy.

mela is offline Registered User
    Hi

I have don my research too and it turns out that as much as I would like to live my shopping until I'm 30 weeks it's better to do it earlier. B2B and Mothercare both advised to orfder the pram and cot 3 months in advance as for some reason it takes them ages to get them to HK. I'm nearly 23 weeks and thinking of doing my weekend of shopping whe Im around 25 weeks as it will leave me plenty of time to get my orders.I'll pick up the smaller items later on as they seem to be in stock at all times.
    The shop assistant in B2B told me that you can ask them to store it for you until you're closer to your due date. I think you need to put 50%deposit for the pram/cot.
    Good luck with the shopping

deemama is offline Registered User
    These are valuable. thanks alot. I have causally browsed through Eugene and was buying gifts for a friend, i also find their service level very low. For a first time mum who needs a lot of explanation, it was difficult to get the staff's attention. I got a couple of checklists for newborns from the web but some of the items are so foreign to me, i needed to look up the internet for a picture to understand them!! Such an adventure.. enjoying it nonetheless!

Thanks again.

Best wishes to you all!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I wasn`t working for most of my pregnancy so I had a lot of time to do my research for the things I wanted to buy.
    The above poster is right - the service at Eugene`s is baaad, though the one in Central is the worst. But it has a lot of stuff, though pretty expensive, and is pretty good for having most of the stuff you would need.
    I liked the Babies R Us in Ocean Terminal Bldg in TST.
    For me, though, since I had the time and I really enjoy that kind of thing, I bought everything little by little. Everytime I went shopping I bought one little thing. Clothes I bought at markets (mostly in SZ), but most other baby items I bought from here, there and everywhere. But like I said, I had the time to comparison shop for what goods suited me best and what price I could best afford.

mela is offline Registered User
    I was in TST Ocean Terminal and I must say that Mothercare staff there were super helpful - as opposed to the Mothercare in Central which I find very unhelpful. The newborn list I got from B2B was way too long but I really like the one from geobaby resources as it seems to be reasonable and well organised. I've got a feeling I'm gonna buy too much stuff anyway as it is my first baby and it's not difficult to get carried away:)

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Depending on your budget but you could also look at some furniture stuff at IKEA, and of course Babies R Us (TST, Ocean Terminal) has some choices as well.

Only buy the essentials in advance, there's plenty of time to buy other things later in case you think you need it, once the baby is born.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast