Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

going through hong kong customs with 1 parent

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I will be doing the same thing from Canada next month, except my baby has his father`s name, not mine, plus my baby is also on a Japanese passport, like his father. And I don`t think there is much of a resemblance between us yet!
    I would like to think that since we are coming home to HK from Canada, that it won`t be a hassle. I mean, can`t they just call our husbands? I don`t think they can stop us from coming home - we live here:)

carang is offline Registered User
    it is hidden somewhere on the canadian consulate's website.

all we wrote was this:

I, XXX (HKID #XXX), do hereby give my wife, XXX (PASSPORT # XXX) permission to travel with our children XXX(passport# XXX) & XXX(passport # XXX) to canada. the scheduled trip is from XXXX until XXX, however, my wife has permission to remain in canada longer if she finds it necessary.

signature

REMEMBER!!!
    DO NOT SIGN THE LETTER! your hubby needs to sign it IN FRONT of the notary. (he must also provide ID that has his signature already on it, such as a passport).

the BEST place to get the notarisation done, if you are canadian, is at the canadian consulate. it is MUCH cheaper than elsewhere, but it is more inconvenient as they have fairly restricted hours for doing it. it costs just over $300, i believe, but i can't remember for sure.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I never had any problems with my daughter, traveling to and from the States by myself (did many times). She's a US citizen as well and my husband's name (which is her last name) is in my passport as well.

Neha is offline Banned
    US again no issue as far as I know.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Carang - I also saw the small print on the Can. website, but I didn`t see that it had to be done in front of a notary public. I mean, I assumed it as it would make it binding, but I didn`t see that on the Can govt website, and I actually had a bit of a chuckle about it. Did you specifically read it on there?

the whole point of having it notarised, is that it proves that you are who you say you are... so if it is signed before, or not notarised you could technically have it signed by a friend or even sign it yourself. their idea in requesting such a letter is to stop kidnapping of children by divorcing parents, i believe.

i don't remember if i read about signing it on the website, but we've had a letter notarised twice and that was the procedure. you write the letter, take it to the office, sign it in front of the officer/person, they notarise it... done

however, the first time we did it, it wasn't notarised, i typed a letter out on the computer and had hubby sign it. the immig officer gave me a hard time at canadian immig and suggested that the next time it be notarised, if i remember correctly. it was almost 4 years ago, though, so i don't remember exactly.

lylee is offline Registered User

"Child Travelling with

•Custodial Parent
    •Non-Custodial Parent
    •Legal Guardian(s) Child Travelling without Parent or Guardian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

•Adobe Acrobat (.pdf)
    •Word (.doc)
    •WordPerfect (.wpd)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: It is strongly recommended that children travelling alone or with one parent carry a consent letter for each and every trip abroad. Although anyone can witness/sign these letters, it is advisable to have the consent letter certified, stamped or sealed by an official who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration (i.e., a commissioner for oaths, notary public, lawyer, etc.) so that the validity of the letter will not be questioned. It is up to each official/individual who witnesses such a letter to decide what proof he/she needs to see to be able to witness/sign the letter. Officials should only witness/sign a letter of consent if he/she is convinced that the individual requesting the letter is who he/she claims to be and that adequate proof has been provided.

This consent letter may be required by foreign authorities among other additional country-specific entry requirements. You should contact the representatives of the country or countries to be visited by the child to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information regarding their specific entry requirements as permission to enter another country is the sole prerogative of that country.

We also strongly recommend that you contact the transportation company (airline, train, bus, etc.) in order to observe any additional policies that they might have in place.

Further information is available in the FAQ and Children and Travel sections."

just in case you don't feel like following the link.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast