Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

one nap and weaning

southside852 is offline Registered User
    perhaps try replacing one of your nursing feeds before naptime with a cup and see how it goes? your baby will get upset initially if she doesn't receive your milk before bedtime, but it might only be an adjustment period of 3 days. We dropped our son's bedtime feed at 9 months and it took about 3-4 days for him to get over it and realize it just wasn't coming. I made sure he gets a all he needs through dinner and a bit afterwards. Then he plays for about a half hour before bedtime.

By 8 months, your baby should be able to be fine with just her dinner feed and that's it. many times, it's actually the mother who doesn't really want to give up that time with the baby.....

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I know this might not be answering your question re weaning exactly, but do you HAVE to drop the `just before bed` feeds? Are you through with breastfeeding, or do you just think that after 1 year you are supposed to stop?
    By the way, imagining your daughter getting into position and pulling at your top really made me smile. My son`s barely 3 months, but I`m already thinking about these things.
    but like some other mothers suggested, I would forego the bottle and stick with the sippy cup - that`s what i`m planning to do.

putput is offline Registered User
    I admit I'm sad about bfing coming to an end. I just think it'll get even harder for my daughter to adjust to the change the older she gets. I guess there is partially 'pressure' in terms of it seeming to be the done thing, but additionally I know she doesn't really need my milk anymore so it makes sense to stop. Plus, I can relax about what I can consume - food, antibiotics, for example, when I stop bfing.

I guess I'll have to just go through the process slowly so that we're both comfortable with weaning, or as comfortable as can be! The bedtime feed will be the last to go.

Yeah, I can understand that. My mother asked me the other day when I was planning on stopping and my answer was as long as it`s going well, I won`t stop before 12 months. It does seems to be the done thing, but I don`t see any harm in going past that - tons of moms do. As long as you`re not one of those moms on 20/20 who`s still BFing your 8 year old, I think you`d be fine if you don`t stop right away. And some kids naturally wean themselves, especially once they get a sense of themselves as not a baby anymore (is that when they start sporting mommy`s handbag?).
    It really is the end of an era.

By the way, there should be no pressure. You`re the mom. It`s your baby. You decide.

putput is offline Registered User
    I know... and you're right. I'd love it if my daughter self weaned as then I wouldn't feel guilty but there's no chance of that happening. She loves bfing, as do i, and she often gives me this cheeky smile or laugh while she's feeding. Uh-oh, I'm getting all nostalgic now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12