Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Induction of labor

steveholy is offline Registered User

Induction of labor

Dear All,
    We have an appointment at Prince of Wales for induction of labor since the baby is now in 41 weeks.
    We don't have any information as to what will be performed during this appointment. Would you provide your experiences (if any) about this?
    Thanks a lot.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

My first came natural at 41w2d but my twins were induced at 38w2d, although I had them in the US. When I came in they checked how dilated I was (I was 4 1/2 cm without experiencing a contraction, was dilated for 6 weeks already, 2-4 cm), then they hooked me up with Pitocin in order to start labor (sometimes they use gel, strip your membranes, etc. or a combination). I was checked again 1-2 hours later, was 5 1/2 cm and then they decided to break my water (with my first they also broke my water at 6 cm in order to progress labor). Once that was done, they gave me the epidural (my twin B was expected to be born feet first by breech extraction which is not really nice without pain meds and they wanted me "on drugs" in case of an emergency c/s on twin B), 2 hours later I was complete and started pushing. Very fast and easy induction but it was my second pregnancy and "they just had to push me over the edge" and then my body took over.

Again, the more dilation, the softer your cervix, effacement, etc. the better your chances for a smooth induction. Less favorable inductions may end in c/s so be prepared for that too.

Good luck!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

My sister-in-law was induced at 41wks3 days. First with gel, then sent home and nothing happened. They tried again but it was again not that successful. Then they gave her the Pitocen.
    My friend was not late but the baby was already huge and her doctor spent a lot of time massaging her perineum. She was dilated 3 cm for weeks though.
    I was also given Pitocen (bc my water broke at 38 weeks and nothing happened for a long time), and let me tell you, it wasn`t pretty. I hope you are ok with getting an epidural. I wanted to do it all natural (pipe dreams as soon as that first contraction came though), but I knew that with the Pitocen that the contractions would not be manageable.
    Best of luck with your delivery - you`ll have a beautiful baby very soon!!!

geomum is offline Registered User

I was induced at 41 weeks after my water broke naturally (2 days before scheduled induction) since my labour wasn't progressing quickly enough (After 10 hours I was only 2 cms dilated). First I was given Pitocin IV, then Nitrous oxide and finally Epidural. The contractions became quite strong soon after Pitocin was given and I was completely dilated and ready to push after 8- 9 hours. So after being in labour for 19 hours in total I gave birth to my daughter. Initially I wanted it to be as drug- free as possible and made it quite clear in my birth- plan, but in the end it didn't go as I had planned. Good luck!!!

mumsy is offline Registered User

I was induced at 10 days overdue (and 5 days after I had got the bloody show).

I was initially given gel but 2-3 hours later nothing was happening, so I was then hooked up on Pitocin. At this point, I was basically confined to the bed because of the fetal monitoring. I did try and sit up later, but the midwife said the position was stressing the baby.

The monitors showed I was having contractions but I didn't feel any pain for the first couple of hours. My waters were also artificially broken by the doctor. Soon after that, the contractions and pain became quite intense very quickly. I thought I might need an epidural, but to my surprise deep breathing with the gas really worked for me.

I also remember feeling the need to pee, but for some reason my body just wouldn't do it. The nurse had to attach a catheter to empty my bladder, and it was at this point, that I suddenly went to 8cm dilation and ready for the delivery room.

My labour was very quick, about 4 hours, so I was very lucky. Another thing is that I had an assisted delivery with a vacuum.

Best of luck to you.

Ai li is offline Registered User

almost the same situation like Geomum

Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    I was induced at 41 weeks after my water broke naturally (2 days before scheduled induction) since my labour wasn't progressing quickly enough (After 10 hours I was only 2 cms dilated). First I was given Pitocin IV, then Nitrous oxide and finally Epidural. The contractions became quite strong soon after Pitocin was given and I was completely dilated and ready to push after 8- 9 hours. So after being in labour for 19 hours in total I gave birth to my daughter. Initially I wanted it to be as drug- free as possible and made it quite clear in my birth- plan, but in the end it didn't go as I had planned. Good luck!!!
    I was induced as my labour wasnt progressing fast enough too.

1) My water started to leak (not broke entirely) at 10am on my due date.

2) Admitted to hospital at 4pm. Only 1 cm dilated. No pain at all. But water kept leaking. Got to change to maternity pad. At that point of time, Fnny, I thought I must be the lucky one that my pain tolerance is that great or simply people just over exaggerated about it.

3) Contraction started at 8pm. By 8.30pm, I couldnt even walk, talk, watch TV... All I felt was just pain pain pain and felt like throwing out...

4) By 7am the next morning, I was only 2cm dilated. Doctor decided to induce the labour (on drip).

5) Baby was borned nearly 3pm without epidural but with suction/ vacuum.

Once the baby was out, all the pains were just gone.