Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dare to take your toddler to China?

Little Monster is offline Registered User

Dare to take your toddler to China?

I really wanna take my son to China, say, Shenzhen, for a day trip. But read the news that stealing babies/toddlers in China is very common and the problem is getting worse. Is it true?

Neha is offline Banned
    I think u just be careful and it should be ok. If u are going to be shopping and let ur son run around then that would be worrisome , Otherwise just be cautious and enjoy your day trip

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    Keep your eyes on them and don't venture out to any remote places. Those stories are freaky and 101% of the time, the kids are never found again. Kids are sooo precious there, especially boys!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I only heard about one case on this website, but it was with a foreign baby. I don`t know what your kids look like but I don`t see why a Chinese person would steal another Asian baby, unless they were mentally imbalanced.
    I still lived there until my baby was 9 weeks old. I found the Chinese to be very sweet and loving towards my baby(who is mixed, but most just assumed he was all white unless my husband was with me).
    If you keep an eye on your children, I think that would be enough.
    I would feel more worried about someone kidnapping my baby in North America where kids go missing all the time.

Speaking of, has anyone been watching Without a Trace on Pearl? What a great show:)

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I've read about this in this week's IHT/NYT. From what I understand, they're mainly Chinese boys who are being sold to families in rural areas where the first child turned out to be a girl, and not the so much wanted boy (especially in rural areas a boy is still very important). According to the article the "hunger for boys" still fuels boy's abductions, so my impression is that as a Western (in this particular case) you have less to worry about because it would be really weird if a "white / blond" boy would turn up in a rural part of China.

Having said that, lunatics everywhere, and it shows no matter where you live, keep an eye on your children and keep them safe.

carang is offline Registered User
    my hubby is local and he refuses to let me take my kids to sz. we recently had an overnight stopover in shanghai. my hubby insisted that we take our double pram for our 4 & 2 yr olds so that we could strap them into it. he was terrified that something would happen.

he was more concerned because of the "mixed" nature of our kids.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Come on guys, it`s not that wild a place. It`s not like you travel a few km over the border and all hell breaks loose, people snatching kids everywhere.
    And at any rate, I guess the recent boy-snatching and being sold to rural families scandal stands up to the girl-snatching and being sold to rural families to marry the boys that they mostly have due to infanticide and abortion of girls. Nobody`s safe eh;)
    Whether I`m in SZ or HK, I don`t let my stroller out of my sight. It must be harder with toddlers, of course, but as with anywhere, common sense and caution often prevails.

MLBW Guest
    I think that a lot of local people are overly paranoid about China. My husband was until we lived there together. He was terrified of China--and acted as though the boogyman was going to jump out and get us at every turn when we would travel around in China together. He seriously could not relax and have a good time at all. I have lived there off and on for seven years so I can say a lot of the paranoia is just hype. Part of this comes from the fact that HK news for a long time has fed the public in HK a heavy dose of negative-only news stories about China. With such a big country with such a "wild west" mentality and such widespread lawlessness (it's kosher to break just about every rule there) yes, a lot of negative things do happen in China. But, also keep in mind, a lot of positive things happen there as well. Yes, there are freaky things that happen in China but I would be more careful about what you feed your kids there than anything.

Keep your children contained in a stroller where you can see them at all times. Just as you should keep your passport and wallet under your clothes in a holder so you don't get pick-pocketed (which is a real reality in Shenzhen)--treat your child as the most valuable "thing" (person) that you have. Be vigilant and honestly, you'll have no problems.

Having said all this, Shenzhen is really a different world. It is a border town and boasts a lot of the negative things that go along with being a border town. It is in no way a true reflection of how most of China is. People in Shenzhen are desperate--desperate to get rich, desperate to get ahead (coming from the country to the city with big dreams of striking it rich--often living on the edge of poverty)--it's really a dog-eat-dog, survival-of-the-fittest world there. So, be especially careful in Shenzhen as well as in Guangzhou.

If you're going to go--I would go with someone--it's so much easier to have two sets of hands and two sets of eyes to keep everything sorted and keep an eye on your son. It's a bit much for just one person, I think--especially when you're dealing with a young child. People who are out to steal and harm watch for people who are distracted--and it's so easy to get distracted when you're with a small child because they don't always "go with the flow." So, make it a fun day--take a girlfriend or your husband and do go see China--it's a good experience--or can be. A lot of it has to do with your mindset and preparedness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast