Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

7months baby constipated for 7 days now! help!

Kimmie is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I also had trouble with getting my little boy to drink water when he was constipated upon starting formula and solids. He refused the bottle and cup... I gave him some Japanese rice puffs (found at Eugene club) to get him thirsty then also spoon fed him. That seemed to do the trick then moved to a training cup with a straw - it took a while, lots of tiny sips and splurting out. But eventually, he took a liking to sipping and he is quite happy drinking water this way now thankfully. So try giving him something to get him thirsty in the first place. Good luck!

MLBW Guest
    Geomum, I do think it depends on whether or not the baby is breastfed or fed breastmilk--that is a totally different element. My son also does spinach and it cleans him right out. I blend it together with a concoction of other fruits and veggies that I got from a Doctor Oz book (famous because of Oprah)--he loves that drink and I feed it to him cold with a spoon. It sounds nasty when you read the ingredients but it tastes really nice--for adults you just have to get over the green color--otherwise it's a refreshing, lightly sweet drink that is really filling. At 16-months my son could literally eat this every day--sometimes two full-cup servings a day! I make sure he has at least two doses of it a week just to keep him regular.

To make a batch you blend:

2 apples
    1 cucumber
    2 stalks of celery (this is optional in my opinion)
    Juice from one juiced lemon
    Small piece of ginger (or more--we like to add more)
    2 handfuls of raw spinach (or you can add a few chunks of the frozen kind you can get at Park n' Shop too)

I also add:
    Ground flaxseed powder (omega-3 and also good fiber)
    Barley sprout powder (get at Green Dot Dot organic food shops)
    1 pear
    1 kiwi

samali is offline Registered User
    You can give her rice water in the morning before any feed(boil 2 tablespoon of rice in a glass of water take out rice only thick water left) it helped my son.

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    Tseung Kwan O
    How old was your baby then? and you mean 4oz of water per day right?

Ice chips sounds like a good idea, not sure if she will take it though as she also has this really shocked look on her face when she takes something cold!
    The last time I gave her a teether that was fridged she got that shocked look...let's see

I have been giving papaya and prune on off, seems to help before but not this time, think I will try spinach!

Thanks everyone...

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    When I started to give solids to my son, he got constipated too... As I was only breastfeeding, I just reduced the amount of food, and even stopped it one or two times, during 2 days, and everything went back to normal. Then I started to feed him solids very little to little, with a lot of BF milk, so the food was nearly liquid. It took him 2 months to accept solids without any trouble.

lylee is offline Registered User
    My baby was 6 months then & yes, the doctor recommended 4oz of water. My baby's feed schedule is pretty much like your's, except she's only having 1 solid & then 4 milk (3 BM & 1 formula, total ~20oz/day) feeds right now. I space out the 4oz of water throughout the day & find that she's more willing to take in the water after Eg. fruit puree, teether biscuit & solids. Good luck!

sniffer is offline Registered User
    Kam Sheung Road, Yuen Long
    This also happened to my breastfed baby when I started her on solids and when transitioned to formula. On top of upping the fluids and fiber, try also to move your baby's legs on a "bicycle" motion, for a few mins every couple of hours. And while your baby's straining, feel around the anus if it's hard, then do the bicycle legs on her, and this motion would help pushing it out. I remembered my daughter was crying while straining because it was really hard and when some came out, she felt relieved! Half an hour later, the straining started again, and whoa! It's unbelievable how much got out!

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    Tseung Kwan O
    Today is the 9th day and for the past 2 days I just gave her BM and puree papaya and pear diluted with lots of water.
    But today still nothing - so out of desperation, we gave her a glyerin suppository. Poor girl she cried so hard and after 2mins, she pooed! not hard as I expect though... very tube like but quite a lot and very yellow colour,is this strange for after 9 days??

I am going to start congee tommorow again - this time must be careful to incorporate the 4oz of water somewhere in her meals and up the fruit/veg puree part.

One question- do you just let baby poo "naturally" into the diaper or do you actually try to make her go at certain times with sounds?
    Because for the past 2 days we kept trying to make sounds to help her go and now everytime we tried this, she crys so I am not sure if it is a good idea to continue?
    Thanks again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast