Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

7months baby constipated for 7 days now! help!

frisbee90 is offline Registered User
    My son had constipation when he started solid at 6 months. Longest was 4 days. When he pooed, it was really heart breaking to watch, he'd cry, shiver, sweat and push really hard and his little face turned red. I was feeding him apple puree(cooked), carrot and rice. A friend told me all these cause constipation and I gave him uncooked apple puree, spinach and other cereal instead, it did help.
    As for the water, he hated it at first. I've to give him with a syringe at the corner of his little mouth, as time goes by, he now drinks it with a sippy cup without any problem. I guess it takes time for them to get used to drinking something without any taste.
    Hope you little angel would get better.

kazbar is offline Registered User
    Hi All,

I am just wondering what cereal to give my 7month old boy? Which brands do you get from HK supermarket as we are new to HK.

He tends to get constipated on baby rice cereal due to the high iron content. Is it ok to give him porridge for breakfast?

Thanks,
    Karen

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Mine went for 8 days I think without a poo just after starting solids at about 6 months - she was exclusively breastfed before that. I cut down on baby rice and any other recently introduced foods for a few days and cooked up some apples and prunes, plus gave her extra water (I'd tip a feeding bowl up to her mouth and she lapped it up). It actually took her a month or so to adjust to solids, and would sometimes go for a few days without a poo.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kazbar View Post
    Hi All,

I am just wondering what cereal to give my 7month old boy? Which brands do you get from HK supermarket as we are new to HK.

He tends to get constipated on baby rice cereal due to the high iron content. Is it ok to give him porridge for breakfast?

Thanks,
    Karen
    Hi Karen, it might not actually be the iron but the actual baby rice that's causing constipation. One of my Robyn Barker books says to stop the rice cereal for a few days and try pureed pears or mashed paw paw.

When you say "porridge" do you mean oatmeal? My baby loves baby oatmeal (either Gerber or Earth's Best) mixed with mashed banana and pureed fruit. We started oatmeal at about 7 months.

shaanmom is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by yuukalim0404 View Post
    Today is the 9th day and for the past 2 days I just gave her BM and puree papaya and pear diluted with lots of water.
    But today still nothing - so out of desperation, we gave her a glyerin suppository. Poor girl she cried so hard and after 2mins, she pooed! not hard as I expect though... very tube like but quite a lot and very yellow colour,is this strange for after 9 days??

I am going to start congee tommorow again - this time must be careful to incorporate the 4oz of water somewhere in her meals and up the fruit/veg puree part.

One question- do you just let baby poo "naturally" into the diaper or do you actually try to make her go at certain times with sounds?
    Because for the past 2 days we kept trying to make sounds to help her go and now everytime we tried this, she crys so I am not sure if it is a good idea to continue?
    Thanks again
    Hi, any good news? Has she pooped again? I think you should consider seeing your dr - 9 days+ without poo is not good; I would think she would be most uncomfortable in her lower abdomen, and the poo will be quite hard and painful... Do also keep up with massaging her tummy and the bicycle legs!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    it took my daughter about a month to get used to the rice cereal...we started off with really watery rice cereal and then as her poo got better we increased the amount of rice cereal.

pureee pear is the best for my daughter. when my daughter's poo is hard, the next feeding i normally give her pear mixed with rice cereal and formula (2 cubes of puree, 2 tablespoons of rice cereal, 2 oz formula, 2 oz water) and then i have diluted milk on the side (0.5oz formula + 3 oz water). pear always seems to work for her.

hope your baby is feeling better!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123