Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finding a FT Helper, urgent help needed pls

piper is offline Registered User

Finding a FT Helper, urgent help needed pls

I'm looking to hire a FT hire -July 1 (first baby is due mid July). And have looked at previous threads (very confusing process) and ASia Expat and Geo website. However, it seems that most helpers that are available are breaking their contract it seems...i.e,"worked with current employer 6 months" or "1 year". I thought all contracts were 2 - years agreements.

I need help on where I should start my search? If I'm looking for the helper to start July 1, how long does the process take if I start the interviewing process now. Does anyone have a list of questions I can follow.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot!!!!

Piper

mushi is offline Registered User
    start with asiaexpat.....u need to pay some nominal fee and thats the best resource for the search,,,,,if u want someone in july then even helpers with broken contracts should do since their processing time is 2 -3 months....for finished contract it is one month.....look for employer references as they r the most important.....go to the HK immigration website for the helpers section on more details.......let me know if u need any further help

Hi Mushi,

Thanks for your help. Im a bit confused re: the broken contracts and the finished contracts.

Are the broken contract from Asia Expat and Geo the ones that say"orked with current employer 6 months" or "1 year"" or some says shorter times.

If someone is finished with their contract, do they have to go back for 6 weeks and wait on the visa? Sorry, that was a bit confusing.

Thanks alot again for all your help.

Piper

rani is offline Administrator
    A contract is 2 years, so if they've worked for less than 2 than yes its a broken contract. You need to ask why they were terminated. If it was for financial reasons or if the employer has left HK, then they don't need to return to the Philippines and can stay in HK while their papers are being processed.

Finished contracts do not have to go back either. Immigration gives them 2 one year visas, which means they have to go back anytime within the 1st year of working for you.

rani is offline Administrator
    Also have a read through Julie Jacobson's article on hiring a helper

http://www.geobaby.com/articles/prac...ring-a-helper/

Thanks alot Rani....I will have a read.

January is offline Registered User
    At the moment, alot of people are leaving HK or simply cannot afford a helper anymore. Some helpers are homesick and wish to leave on their own as well. There are many reasons for broken contracts so don't let that put you off. 2 years is a long time and alot can change very quickly here in HK. Best of luck finding a helper soon. The process usually does take some time though so do not be disheartend if it all doesn't move along as quickly as you had hoped. You may also have to interview several people too.
    Last edited by January; 04-15-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: misssed a word because of bad headache

southside852 is offline Registered User
    in addition to asiaexpat.com, have you asked any friends who do have helpers if they know of anyone? word travels very fast that someone needs a helper. we had helpers ringing up our door once word got out in our building.

we brought our helper in from the philippines and it took about 8 weeks through an agency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast