Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Do I have enough breastmilk?

tstmum is offline Registered User

I'm glad things are working out for you. Honestly, breastfeeding is really hard work at times, particularly in the early weeks, and it took us about 3 months to really figure things out. Eventually the feeds do get shorter and less frequent.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I will second that for sure. I had lots of BF problems(and a new one as of late...:( ), and I got a lot of great advice and encouragement from other ladies on this board. Keep trying and continue the great work!

crystal88 is offline Registered User

i'm on my 3rd week, almost gave up on the first week, now it's getting a little better, i slept 4 hrs straight last night, hopefully in one month, all will be well. This is the best gift i can give to my baby. BF is determination.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

The breastfeeding has taken a turn for the worse today unfortunately and I had to give him a bit of formula to supplement. For the 10pm feed last night and the noon feed today, my baby sucked and sucked and sucked for half and hour on one breast, fell asleep and then woke up shortly afterwards screaming and so I gave him my other breast for 1/2 hour. Shortly after giving him my second breast he started screaming and screaming again. As I didn't really know what to do, I just topped him up with a little bit of formula and he seems to have calmed down now and gone to sleep.

I've called a lactation consultant to come in tomorrow to help out but it is quite frustrating that I have had enough milk for 3 weeks and all of a sudden things seem to be falling apart!

crystal88 is offline Registered User

hi futuremom,

pls let me know the advice of the consultant, it happens to me as i've said on other thread, my baby cluster feeds from 6-10 pm which is so frustrating and tiring. he nurse for 1/2 hr, sleep for 5-10 mins then cries again. It ends around 10pm and he sleeps well.

Are you taking supplements for milk supply? i take fenugreek seed which helps a lot.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

FutureHKmom - are you achieving letdown of your milk? I had the same difficulty, i think, in my first few weeks. My baby would suck and suck and it hurt so badly. I nearly gave up. Then I noticed I started to get all tingly in my breasts, and milk started to flow more easily. Now it sprays, but that`s a whole different issue:)

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User

FutureHKmom, does your baby suck well? I had a hard time in the beginning because my son was pretty inefficient for a while, looking for milk every which way but the breast or not being able to have a good latch etc. Also, do you think it just may be gases stuck or something which is why he is getting up crying so soon after a feed?

sherwes is offline Registered User

Thundacatchergo, pumping is often not a reliable way of testing how much milk you are producing as many women find it difficult to acheive let down when pumping. This is particularly the case in the early days of breast feeding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast