Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Chinese International School vs. HKIS

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Chinese International School vs. HKIS

Any moms or dads out there with kids that go to Chinese International School? What are your thoughts on CIS vs. HKIS. Also, if you child goes to Chinese International School, what kindergarten did they go to before they entered Reception at CIS? Thanks.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    HKIS has many more Americans as it's the equivalent of the American School here in HK. Of course, it's not ALL Americans, but that is what their curriculum is geared towards as most students return back to the States for university. CIS is really where the wealthy Chinese send their children. It's unique because of its bilingual approach. All classes have an English and a Chinese teacher. Both schools are very rigorous and competitive and you cannot go wrong with either one!

We have many friends who have just gone through the process for reception and many of the ones who got into HKIS did NOT get into CIS. They went to Tutor Time in Redhill and Woodlands in Repulse Bay..
    Last edited by southside852; 04-14-2009 at 05:46 PM.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    My upstairs neighbors go to CIS, and the middle one just got accepted. They're Japanese / English, so it helps their Japanese as well (in terms of characters, meaning, grammar structure, etc.). The middle one is now going to Woodlands, bilingual stream.

Elise is offline Registered User
    Absolutely choose CIS. The depth of educational experiences provided at CIS far outweigh HKIS due to the nature of the IB program. Some students in international schools in HK can be a little spoilt with 'entitlement' issues. These traits are more pronounced at HKIS. There are, of course, lots of great students there but CIS seems to have a friendlier, more respectful environment.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

Elise - I know it is very hard to get into CIS. Any tips on how to enhance my son's chances of getting in and also any ideas on what kindergardens would be good choices for my son if I plan to help him apply to CIS when he is 2? Thanks.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    as he will be assessed on his mandarin speaking ability (part of the interview is in Mandarin), I would make sure that your son is comfortable with the language so that he will react appropriately when during the interview.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    this is true, but there are also families who have no mandarin experience (americans) and were accepted. the school is obviously looking for the right balance of english/mandarin so don't feel too much pressure to all of sudden teach your 4 year old conversational mandarin.

Elise is offline Registered User
    Fostering a positive attitude to looking through - not reading as yet - books, nursery rhymes, fairy tales. Enjoying a diverse range of developmental activities such as coloring, scribbling, creative play with blocks and other concrete materials. Enjoyment in some physical activities such as balancing, skipping, hopping, rolling/tossing balls and other such fun games. Helping to develop a child who is happy to chat/interact with simple questions about their day, likes/dislikes, favorite things, eg food, story, activities. A child who is well-adjusted in social situations that include playing sociably with peers, sharing. Many kindergartens will pursue academic excellence. Whilst development in some things is fine, a child who is comfortable with all of the above with a little bit of phonic knowledge by the age of 4 or 5 should transition well into an international school. I deal mainly with primary and secondary schools but I would definitely interview prospective kindergartens re their curriculum (bilingual English/Mandarin) and where their 'graduates' have moved on to. Basically CIS are looking for well-rounded and well-adjusted applicants in all areas.