Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Mosquitos in HK

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Mosquitos in HK

Coming from dirty SZ, I am pretty disappointed at seeing mosquitos here in HK in my city apartment (after 3 years in backwoods Thailand I thought i was through!).
    What does everyone do about mosquitos?

Mosquito net over baby`s bed?
    How about the thing that plugs into electric sockets and emits a chemical? That must be bad for baby, no? I have already seen a bite on my baby`s leg. I hate to be a paro mother but you know, just in case. I know there is some dengue here.

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User

I was just wondering the same thing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with mosquitoes and babies? We live on ground level, so this time of year they can be quite rampant. Is a mosquito net worth it? Or is there something better? I'm mostly concerned about the baby's room, not necessarily the entire household, though maybe I should be?

MLBW Guest

We live out in the village where there is a lot of stagnant water and tons of mosquitos. Anyone who lives closer to a city center or in a highrise apartment has to have it better than it is here.

This is how we deal with mosquitos: First, do all you can to keep them out. They generally don't come out during the day here because it's too hot (unless you're near one of their breeding grounds you probably won't run into them) but as soon as the sun starts to set and it cools off, watch out! That means that we don't open doors for long enough to let them get in our house.

If they happen to get in, we're vigilant with our "mosquito wand" (the one that looks like a tennis racquet and "zaps" them with electricity). My husband is an expert "mosquito hunter" and can catch them in his hands! Me? Not so much but we try to keep our home 100% mosquito-free and we're quite successful at it by not leaving any way for them to get in.

If we're going out, and especially in the evenings we either dress our son in long sleeves and/or cover every bit of his body with a natural mosquito repellent which is just lavendar oil, eucalyptus and cintronella oil mixed together--you can get this at almost every baby store in HK--the brand we use is Japanese.

For our house, we also bought a citronella plant (they are ugly looking things) for about 15 HKD in the market--you can rub the leaves on your body to keep the mosquitos from eating you.

I am interested to know where in HK you can buy Citronella candles? This is another way to keep mosquitos from eating you and not poison yourself with chemicals at the same time.

I know some people who have mosquito nets out here over their beds and I think that it isn't a half-bad idea especially when it concerns babies and newborns. Thankfully we haven't had much of an indoor mosquito problem so our son does not sleep with one of these.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

We use Badger Anti-Bug Balm.

Also, when going out to where you would expect lots of mozzies, wear light color clothing.

Scroll to top