Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Good 5 day summer vacation?

BeaMae is offline Registered User

Good 5 day summer vacation?

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good 5 day vacation in early July. We have a 2.5 year old who travels pretty well, so a city destination is fine (as is a beach destination). Has anyone been to Beijing in the summer? Too crowded? Ideally I would like to head North because I will be heading back to the States from wherever we are, and it would cut down my flying time home. But any suggestions would be great.

Thanks so much!

MLBW Guest
    Um....I have been to Beijing during the summer and July is the hottest month--it gets unbearable hot there and unlike HK it's not like everywhere you go has air con either so it doesn't matter. And the thing that people go to Beijing to do is site-see. There is Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City, The Summer Palace, The Temple of Heaven as well as the Great Wall. But all of these are outdoor destinations and believe me, it's not much fun to be hanging out, outdoors in Beijing in July. One summer my husband and I went there at the beginning of July and we went to Tiananmen Square--it was so hot that the only people in the square (which is usually PACKED with people) were myself, my husband and a few people selling drinks and icecream under umbrellas--even the guards were chilling in the shade on the side of the street. So, the best time to visit Beijing, I think is in the spring (April-May) or the fall (August-September) because you avoid the heat and the chill.

Have you thought of going to someplace like Yunnan? We used to live there and they have some very beautiful places to go and see as well as the highest concentration of ethnic minorities represented and it never gets too overly crowded there and although it is very far south, because a lot of the places are up in the mountains, the weather is very temperate.

Neha is offline Banned
    U can also go to Seoul or Tokyo that way u can cover about 20-30% of your journey to USA

MLBW Guest
    Or...you could fly to Taiwan. Taiwan is one of my favorite close destinations and the food is wonderful! They have hot springs to relax in as well. Seoul is nice but it is pretty crowded (pretty much just like HK--even about the same building style of pressing all the buildings together in a small space) as is Tokyo but as Neha says, it does help you cover more ground on your way to the USA. For that matter, you could go to Hawaii for 5 days and then to the States.

MLBW Guest
    ...or Guam :0)

BeaMae is offline Registered User
    thanks so much for your replies. i figured beijing was too hot and crowded. i have been to tokyo, although that's a possibility. hawaii would be great, but not an easy return for my husband who is coming back to HK. i will look into yunnan. thanks again!!