Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sleeping for four hours straight?

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Sleeping for four hours straight?

My baby is 3 weeks tomorrow. He BF every 2-3hours average the whole day. From 6-10pm ever night, he BF non-stop that i'm getting crazy already why he's cranky at this time, i read that it's called cluster feeding. Anyways, last night, his last feed was 11p.m. and woke up at 3am, is it normal now at his age to sleep 4 hrs or i should wake him up? Honestly, this is the first time i had a good sleep. He woke up at 5am again and feeds very shortly, even if i force him, he was sleepy. At 7a.m. til now, it's normal feeding again. Is it alright that he goes "hungry" for 4 hrs? thanks!

Oh, may i add that it was his first time to wear grobag last night. Maybe that's the reason why he didn't wake up at 1 a.m.?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    My baby is almost 4 weeks old and I read that as long as he has at least 7-8 feeds a day, it should be enough. You also have to look at how many wet diapers he has a day (at least 6 is needed I think) and also if he is gaining weight. My baby actually wakes up between 2 and 4 hours during the day and at night sometimes he can even sleep for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. I suppose every baby is different, but if he has enough wet diapers a day, is gaining weight and is happy, then I don't see a problem with letting him sleep 4 hours straight if he is ok with it.

Suv is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Crystal88, you are worrying for no reason!:) Enjoy that luckily your baby is sleeping 4 hours straight at night and giving you a break. It also means you are feeding him well during the day! He is tanking up, a lot of babies (mine included wanted to feed a lot in the evenings; yes, and it does drive you mad and madder still if your boobs are hurting) Only if he was sleeping for 4 hours during daytime..... perhaps then you should have been worried:)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    At that age, my baby would cluster feed like that too. It made me feel like I didn`t have enough milk. I read it`s their way of storing up the milk so he can have a good sleep. I wouldn`t worry unless he`s not eating enough during the rest of the time, and if it gets longer than 5 hrs or so. As the others say, enjoy it. It might not last long.

Pekkie is offline Registered User
    Hi Crystal88, I agree you should be thankful your baby sleeps 4hours straight in the night. (My baby of 2 weeks hardly goes beyond 3 hours and I breasfeed every 1 1/2 - 2 hourly.. wonder if that's normal??) I read as long as he has enough feed during the day (you know by the number of wet diapers and he's gaining weight) you shouldn't worry too much of waking him up in the night to feed. Just my 2 cents worth.