Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Breastfeeding Diet

southside852 is offline Registered User
    similar to what others have said above, i initially just ate what i wanted - staying away from raw fish though etc...as whatever you ate, obviously goes to your baby. food = energy for you as nursing can be quite draining. one thing that was different for me was that my son had reflux so we stayed away from my acidic foods like tomatoes, lemon etc....foods that would upset his tummy.

it is extremely important like AndreaY said to stay hydrated while nursing. Everytime I nursed, I had a tall glass of water beside me to drink and water bottles all around the apartment so I wouldn't have to think so much about it getting water - it was always just there.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Like the other posters, I ate whatever I would normally eat. The only things I steered clear of were caffeine and alcohol. I was lucky that my baby didn't suffer from reflux or upset tummy so I didn't need to go through the trail and error process of working out what not to eat.

I would also agree that breastfed babies generally have very runny stools. This is completely normal and, unless there are other symptoms, I wouldn't treat it as a sign of an upset tummy.

Pekkie is offline Registered User
    Hi all, thanks for your inputs. I just read an article on breastfeeding diet and here's to share with you all. It's a breastfeeding interaction chart with the different food from babycenter.

Breast milk interactions chart | BabyCenter

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Granted that those foods that cause alergies in your baby should be cut out, but there is really no need to cut out all the foods listed if your baby is not. It is always better to eat a balanced diet than to cut out foods you normally eat that does nothing to your baby. Incidentally, have you seen the paed and have him/her advice whether your baby is having diarrhea?

Pekkie is offline Registered User
    Hi Andrea, yea agree with you too and am trying various food. In the previous experience, my baby's stool was like a mix of meconium and runny green stools. It wasn't like the bright yellow runny stools of a breastfed baby. However, it was for only a day and he's doing fine now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12