Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breastfeeding Diet

Pekkie is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding Diet

Hi, does anyone has a compilation of what can and can't be eaten if you're breastfeeding? (Meat, vege and fruits). Thanks for sharing.

Ai li is offline Registered User
    My OB told me not to eat liver and pigeon. It will reduce or stop the breast milk.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    I pretty much ate anything that I would normally eat (including liver and pigeon) and it did not affect my milk supply. My advice would be to make sure you drink lots of water and take in enough food. Rest, I know would be hard to come by, but would make a world of difference in the production of milk

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I think it`s pretty similar to the pre-natal diet - endless helpings of good stuff. Except after you have a baby you can eat sushi and deli meats, yum!
    I haven`t heard about what Ai Li`s doctor said though I know that at least pre-natally you should avoid most kinds of liver as it stores a lot of toxins.
    I just eat as best as I can (and then some...) and try to make sure I get enough water. At the beginning you will be so thirsty anyway, so that shouldn`t be a problem.
    I also read that you should eat 500 calories more per day...but I also read that you don`t have to. I wouldn`t go out of my way to eat that much more, but you might naturally since you will get more hungry.

Pekkie is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all the info. My few days old baby had a little diarrhea the other day and I recalled drinking soup with tomato and after searching the web I read that tomato should not be taken as it might upset the tummy. So now I just wanted to be extra careful. I know I should avoid citrus fruits, broccoli, beans etc. Anything else I should watch out for?

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    You sure it's diarrhea? She is just a few days old and on BM, her poo would be kind of runny. Perhaps you should take her to the paed and ask her and maybe ask the paed too what he/she recommend for bf diet. Cos the internet research thing can churn up lots of info that are incorrect, the list you have mentioned seemed a little too extensive.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    I ate whatever I liked. I didn't find that any food in particular caused a problem. The problem with lists is that what may affect one baby, won't affect the next so really it is trial and error and I think most people can eat pretty much anything. I ate tomatoes, citrus fruit, broccoli, and beans with no issue. Those all seem odd foods that were suggested to you to avoid, because all of those foods can be given to a baby old enough to eat them. I also agree with the other poster. breastmilk stool is very runny and watery normally, are you sure it is diarrhea?

geomum is offline Registered User
    Although I ate everything I did when I was pregnant, almost always I had Apple juice my daughter had a upset tummy (More runny/ frequent poo than normal). So I stopped drinking it and she was fine afterwards. Babies can be allergic to few things in your diet, so monitor carefully to see if a particular food item is causing any problems. I also took multi vitamins and calcium for a few months while I was breastfeeding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast