Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

QMH Questions

mnight is offline Registered User

QMH Questions

Hi,

I will be delivering at Queen Mary and would like to know the following:

Can you have a shower after you've given birth?

From my hospital tour it seems that they no longer use private/semi-private rooms as some have mentioned in other posts. If you have a private room you will be charged as a private patient, can anyone with recent experience clarify/confirm this?

And finally, I've seen from previous posts that an inflatable or cushion of come sort is recommended to use to sit on for breastfeeding -can anyone tell me where to get one from?

thanks

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    Shower, YES. There are showers, and they are shared so you should bring shower sandals and your own towel/toiletries. You might be able to ask the nurses to put your baby in the nursery while you shower, but most likely you will have to go when the baby is sleeping.

It's been 2 years since I gave birth at QM, but at that time they said if you want to pay for a private room, it would be something like $30,000. Sorry, don't have a recent update if that is still the case.

I think what you are thinking of is "boppy" or "my breast friend" breastfeeding pillow. It's not for you to sit on, but to put on your lap and lay your baby on while you are feeding. It helps to bring the baby to a higher level so that you are not crouched over, which puts a lot of stress on your back and neck. If you don't have one, you could also just use a pillow or two for the same results. You can probably get them at mother care, babies r us, bumps to babes etc.
    All the best,
    Katie

papa2b is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mnight View Post
    Hi,

I will be delivering at Queen Mary and would like to know the following:

Can you have a shower after you've given birth?

From my hospital tour it seems that they no longer use private/semi-private rooms as some have mentioned in other posts. If you have a private room you will be charged as a private patient, can anyone with recent experience clarify/confirm this?

And finally, I've seen from previous posts that an inflatable or cushion of come sort is recommended to use to sit on for breastfeeding -can anyone tell me where to get one from?

thanks
    I think there may be some confusion here.

Regardless of whether you are a private or public patient - you will give birth in a private birthing room. If you are a public patient, you will, after giving birth, move back to a shared ward.

As previously mentioned the showers are shared if you're a public patient. From what we saw, they are relatively well kept. However, bring your own toilet paper - they use the absolutely cheapest paper there is, akin to sand paper. Bring your own toiletries and flip flops.

Bumps2Babes has a great range of maternity/feeding pillows and i've found for this particular item they are cheaper than Mothercare and Babies R Us.

Thanks for the replies. I know that I'll give birth in a private room, but I was thinking more about the use of a private room instead of being on the ward, it used to be that you could ask for a private room when you got to the hospital and just paid a little extra rather than be on the 'ward'. Or at least I think that used to be the case from what I've read.

In terms of the pillow, I'd read that you needed an inflatable cushion or something similar to sit on as after giving birth you were often quite sore and so laid on your side which made it difficult to breastfeed.

Glad that showers are available though! Thanks for the TP advice.

Dink is offline Registered User
    Hi there - the inflatable pillows you are thinking of are just little rubber rings that children use for swimming and you can sit on them to take the pressure off that area. Not a necessary item, I was pretty sore afterwards and managed fine without one - you can always send someone to mothercare or B2B afterwards to get you one if you need one. Sounds like you'll need to call the hospital to confirm but to use the private rooms I am sure you would be charged as a private patient. The showers are fine by the way. Good luck with your delivery :0)

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    The inflatable pillow isn't necessary. I had an episiotomy with one delivery and a 3rd degree tear with the other and never used one. It is sore to the point you may not want to sit on a hard wooden chair, but a cushioned chair or put a pillow on a hard chair is fine. It is much easier to latch the baby when you are starting out if you can sit up straight and not be slouched over. Side lying is okay to do but it is harder to latch when you are first figuring out how to latch your baby.

Thanks again, i'll take your suggestion and see how I get on without the pillow.

rani is offline Administrator
    I needed my inflatable ring. You can get it for $10 from Japan Home or any other toy store in Wanchai. Worth adding to your hospital bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast