Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

private room at Union hospital

mumsy is offline Registered User

private room at Union hospital

Hi. Has anyone recently stayed in a private room at the Union hospital for giving birth?

I just looked at the website, and the package cost is $29,300 but it says not inclusive of room charges. So I guess this package cost is just for the use of the labour/delivery suite.

I've read that private room charges vary from $3K to $8K per night. What's the differences between these rooms and are there many available. (Last time I gave birth there, all private rooms were occupied).

If I manage to get a private room, do they allow baby to room-in and are there any extra requirements (I remember reading another thread about you needing to pay for a nurse if baby rooms-in).

Are there any other hidden costs that I should be aware of for private rooms patients? (Last time, my twin-room package covered everything except doctor's delivery fee and meals).

Any info would be much appreciated.

carey is offline Registered User
    Hi Mumsy, I have not yet stayed a private room at the Union hospital for giving birth. But I have already booked a private room for delivering on around May 27th. I can tell you more about the actual charges if I give birth before you do. You charges should be lower then mine.

But I can share what I was told by the hospital so far with you.

As Mainland mothers, ( expacts and Hongkong mothers have a cheaper price) we are to pay a package of Hk $80,000 for natural delivery and HK $100,000 for C-section. It includes 4 days and 3 nights stay for natural delivery ( 5 day, 4 nights for c-section). It also includes basic hospital doctor fee and hospital fee and meals.

I am not sure how many years ago you delivered there the first time. Three months ago, I was shown to two kinds of private rooms. There are about four of them on the same floor as the nursery ( which makes it easier for Bfing), I think these cost around 3k per night. There are the ones on the 11th floor which include 3k room and suite, 8k and above. One would have to walk quite a bit to get to the nursery. But the floor is newer and nicer then the nursery. If you want to have your baby to room in with you, there will be no issue of traveling to BF.

I have requested the private rooms on the nursery floor for the convenience of BF. I don't plan to have the the baby room-in because I want to Bf at the nursery,where, I heard, nurses will check if you are doing the right thing. But I am not sure if the nurses would bring my private room if I request them to.

I also ask about paying for a nurse if baby rooms-in, the nurse at the OB office told me is not necessary.

When I confirm my booking of a private room, they have me to sign a form that states that that there will be no extra charge on top of the package unless there is an emergency situation.

I know my situation is a little different. But I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Ai li is offline Registered User
    Hi Mumsy

Good choice. I like Union hospital very much.

I delivered at Union Hospital last Aug.

We paid $80,281.00 in August last year. I stayed an additional night there. (I am a Malaysian, Not sure if it is cheaper for a local mom)

Dr fee: $30K. ($15K for semi private or standard)

Room fees : $3300 per day.There are 4 or 5 types of private rooms at 11th floor from $2XXX to $3600. I stayed at 11th floor.

Food : $1380. Set meal (4 meals a day). A la Carte is available too.

Epidural : (I didnt have it).

Actual breakdown from the IN-Patient charges slip
    Day 1 :
    Room Charges : $3300
    Normal delivery package : $27,260.00

Day 2 : (Actual delivery day)
    Treatment/ Procedure : $817.50
    Use of medical equipment : $825.00 ( I guess it is vacumm)
    Pharmaceutical charges : $607.50

Day 3 :
    Treatment/ Procedure : $232.50
    Consumable charges (non food): $67.50

Day 4 :
    Treatment/ Procedure : $150.00
    Consumable charges (non food) : $90.00
    Meal Charges : $1380.00
    Sundries Charges : $99.00

Day 5 :
    Delivery fee/ Doctor fee : $30,000.00

FOR BABY:
    Treatment/ Procedure : $1350.00 (My baby has got jaundice)
    Ward Round : $4000.00
    Clinical Lab Tests : $202.50

Total amount : $80,281.00

The hospital also allowed me to have my baby in my room without any qualified nanny or midwife. I think they only do it for private rooms only.

Oh yes, steriliser and breats pump are available for loan upon request. (free).

If you have any question, pls feel free to ask me.

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Thank you both so much for the information, and especially Ai li for the breakdown of costs. Yikes, it definitely all adds up. I think my doctor's fee are slightly lower but I should be looking at $60K as an absolute minimum.

When you made your booking for a private room, did you also have to choose/reserve the room type immediately? I would opt for the cheapest private room, but wonder if these fill up really fast and that might leave me only with the pricey $8K suites!

My last delivery at the Union for a twin-room only cost $25K so I really need to decide if it's really worth splashing out since we're not covered by insurance.

The other hospitals that I'm also considering are Baptist (private room package $33K including room charges so a lot cheaper than Union) and possibly Prince of Wales (baby can stay next to me and costs next to nothing).

I'm not due until the end of the year, so still got lots of time to research and get opinions.

Thanks a lot.

Ai li is offline Registered User
    HI Mumsy,

The hospital coudnt commit the exact private room that I like as my choice was natural delivery. I think usually the hospital cannot guarantee the availability of the rooms if you op for natural delivery. However, we still had to inform them that we like to have a private room in order for them to 'reserve' (not guarantee) for us.

They assured me there will be rooms (private or semi private) available for me during my labour.

The only time they could commit the room that I like, was the day that I admitted to the hospital for labouring I found them very honest (not tricky) as they tried putting me the smallest (lowerest cost) private room while the rest of the private rooms were still available. I had to ask them to change to a bigger one immediately after surprising knowing they gave me the smallest one. It sounds spoilt, because we have insurance.

If you have a specific room that you want, please remember the room number or something that the size of the room. It will make it easier to communicate with the staff upon registration, and also to prevent misunderstanding as I wasnt allow to go to my room after registration. I was at the observation room for about 2 - 3 hours. checking dilation, baby heart beating, urine sample... One thing good about having a private room, is my husband and parents were allowed in my room waiting comfortably while I was at the observation room for 2 -3 hours.

Have a tour with the hospital. It definately helps too.