Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how to get rid of 'stuff'

aussie mum is offline Registered User

how to get rid of 'stuff'

hi...we are moving (within HK) and have so much stuff that i don't want to take with us this move. somehow we have ended up with all the crap we have ever owned in our lives here with us in HK.
    most of the things i am wanting to get rid of is not great or I would be taking it with me. I just don't know what to do with it / how to dispose of it.
    things like cheap (old!) ikea pine shelves I have managed to pass on to helpers in our block but i have other things like a pair of tall, heavy, iron candlesticks - they weigh a tonne and i wouldn't have the first clue where/how to dispose of them. I would think its unlikely that other people would want my trash...although i suppose one man's trash is another man's treasure. Posting ads in the online classifieds seems a bit OTT for the type of things i am wanting to dispose of.
    any other suggestions?
    at home i would go to a bric-a-brac man or cheap second hand furniture place and drop it all off and anything not up to that standard i would take to the rubbish tip....
    i think I remember reading somewhere recently that someone's removal company looked after everything they didn't want to move. is that really possible??

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    DB, Hong Kong
    yeah in our area there is a "waste" removal company that just come and collect anything you don't want for a really small fee. Ask around, there has to be something similar in your area. And I know that our actual movers provided a similar service. Good luck

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    You'd be surprised at how "effective" the classifieds are for getting rid of stuff. Just write the word FREE in big bold letters and list the items you want to give away... and you'll have people beating a path to your door. Of course, the items have to be in reasonably good condition. Other bric-a-brac, put them in a big trash bag and haul it to your building's "dump" center or you can also request your movers to help you get rid of them. If there are not too many bags or too bulky, most movers won't charge you for it.

Good luck.

cesh is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Maybe you could consider donating stuff to charity. I think Christian Action and others will collect from you if there's a decent amount of stuff. They can give more practical stuff to families in need and sell other items to raise funds.
    Christian Action

Neha is offline Banned
    Mid Levels, Hong Kong
    Any Charity u give stuff make sure the stuff is in a real good condition as when we were moving and we wanted to give away some stuff we were asked to send photos etc before they sent their truck to pick it up.

What we did was posted in the classifieds in Asiaxpat and geoexpat. I would tell u asiaxpat worked much morelike 90% better than geoexpat.

We were left with some things what we did was the guy who moved our stuff we asked him to dump it and avoided the hassle of going and throwing stuff.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    Last time I needed to get rid of some stuff, I just made a picture of everything on the table, and put it on AsiaXpat... at least 10 people came to my place and I nearly had nothing left !! Can't say it was to make money, but at least I made some room :)

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong
    Free stuff goes quick on Geoexpat.Com as well!

fee is offline Registered User
    Tai Po, Hong Kong
    I just had to get around this whole problem myself last month. You would be surprised how much stuff will be absorbed by the helper network. I thought it was going to be a long painful process getting rid of stuff bit by bit but I just piled it all together (literally a room full of stuff!) and told my helper to let her friends come and have a look. I was astounded at what they took! The ultimate 'stuff' removal solution!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast