Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

G6PD baby and moth balls, fava beans... help!

solidstars is offline Registered User

thanks shenzhennifer!

their solution is to throw away the camphor things and use an air purifier to clear the envt. hopefully it should be okay.

i've googled again and again, according to what i've found, SOME camphor products are made from naphathlene but it doesn't say how to tell which are and which aren't.

i will definitely ask my doctor the next time i see him, but i have a feeling he probably won't be able to tell me specifically either.
    also recently discovered that many insect repellent also contain naphathlene.

thanks again!

ka__ying is offline Registered User

How did you find out your husband is the G6DP and not from maternal side?

Quote Originally Posted by mushi View Post
    hi, yes i have a G6PD defecient baby and after all my initial worries it turns out that my husband's family is G6PD deficient and none of them had any probs whatsoever till date....they are all in their 50's now......they had every single thing to eat with no worries!!! the only thing we need to be careful of is sulphur drugs and therefore it is imperative that we mention this fact to every doctor that we take the baby to and also his school or other associations where he is likely to feed/fall sick, etc......i have also heard about fava beans that i immmdietley threw out of the kitchen and to be on the safe side i do not give him any berries.......thats it nothing to worry.
    How did you find out your husband is the G6DP and not from maternal side?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

G6PD is an X-linked condition, so males cannot be "carriers" - they can have the disease but they can't pass it on unless they themselves have the disease. More regularly, the mother is the "carrier" and since boys only have one X chromosome, it is more likely that her sons will be affected rather than her daughters. Here's more info from Wiki if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-linked_recessive

solidstars is offline Registered User

females can also be G6PD def but this is rare. usually they are carriers, like me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12