Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Expressing Breast Milk

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Expressing Breast Milk

Was just wondering when other mommys usually express breast milk. I've been exclusively breastfeeding my one month old baby but never seem to find the time to express any milk because he seems to be asking for a feed every 2 hours and after he feeds I can never express much milk out. If I express in between feeds, I'm afraid I won't have enough for the next feed. So when is the best time to express so I can start storing up a supply for when I return to work? Thanks.

annahongkong is offline Registered User
    I have a one month old as well, and find the best time to express is first thing in the morning either just before or just after a feed (and express off the opposite side to the one feeding from).

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    FHKM, Its ok to express between feeds. The baby will have enough milk. Don't worry. And more your breasts are stimulated the more they will produce. The milk production never stops and babies are a lot more efficient than the pumps. Also have lots of water regularly, I was literally having 8-10 proverbial glasses a day, I feel the flow is better.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your advice SUV and annahongkong.

Was also wondering - do you guys always only feed from one breast or from both? If from both how long from each and when do you switch over? Thanks.

mushi is offline Registered User
    hi, i used to successfully express milk after my baby was 4 months old.....your supply should be well established by then and your baby would be a good routine too.......after trying out various combinations what worked for me was expressing usinga manual pump from one breast while feeding the baby on another.....by this time the baby has enough head control and hence u can support both activities after some practice.......it saves u on time plus the flow is so good since the baby is latched on to the other breast....i filled up 10 huge bottles before i returned to work in month 6..all the best

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    I have to feed from both as I have always have had lopsided production. My left normally has only 2-3 oz and the right about 4-6 oz. I switch when the baby keeps pulling on and off from the right one, then I know that probably the flow is not much. Also remember they pull on and off if the flow is too fast for them or too much as it had happened to me in my 4th week and my left one had a very fast let down.

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    I used to have the same problem and concern. If your baby sleeps through the night now ie 9pm-3-4am, you can express during anytime this window. I used to pump during midnight or 1-2am and manage to have quite a bit of freezer stash before going back to work. All the best!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I used to try and express in the morning when my supply was more plentiful. I tried doing it right after a feed. If you`re handy, you can pump the other breast as your baby is feeding on one.
    I used to try to make sure he fed from both breasts and it took a lot of time and worry if he didn`t. Then I just followed his cues. Until now (3.5 months) he usually only feeds on one breast at a time.