Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Will you let your child attend Nursery / Did your child attend Nursery?

109. This poll is closed
  • Yes

83 76.15%
  • No

11 10.09%
  • Haven't made up my mind yet

15 13.76%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Nursery or not?

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Nursery or not?

Hi, my girl just turned 2 and I can't fully make up my mind whether or not to send her to nursery. I know I don't have to and I can sign her up for "activities"... but somehow I feel that she is ready for something more. She sees her brother off at the school bus every morning and she wants to go along. Every Friday, when I drive her to her Socatots class, we drop off her brother at school first and she feels right at home at the school and readily follows her brother to his classroom...

I keep going back and forth in my mind about this and I just want to hear how other parents are going about this and what your thoughts are, with regard to your own children going to nursery. Why are you "for" it or why you aren't...

Please let's keep it nice, folks. :)

Thanks for sharing.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Buckeroo, it sounds like it would be a natural progression for your daughter to go and what a bonus that she already feels comfortable in the school environment! Out of curiosity, what is stopping you from sending her?

My son is 16 months and when I return from the States this fall, I am most likely enrolled him in Tutor Time twice a week and then supplementing with other activities - socatots, music together, kindermusik etc...He will be 20 months then.

Personally, I think nursery (it's called pre-school in the US) is important because:

1) it's a good transition for the child for when they do get to kindergarten it's not a total surprise. they slowly get the idea of structure and learning how to be in school.

2) the social dynamic amongst children is different then in let's say socatots or kindermusik

3) the nursery engages my son in ways that I cannot whether it's because I do not have the equipment or the expertise to do so.

4) actvities and playgroups are great, but there is a different feel to nursery and it's really not the same as being in a music class for 40 minutes and then going home.

I believe my son will be learning a great deal, will be enagaged and will hopefully meet some new friends!

Hope this helps!

mushi is offline Registered User
    happy valley
    i think your child is more than ready to go to the will not be a good place for her to meet other kids her age and mingle with them ina constructive educational kins of a way but also would also help release a lot of her energy in the right direction instead of aimlessly playing alone at would also prepare her for pre-school and when the time comes she would be more than readya nd happy to go to school instead of a regular battle.....u could start with thrice a week but i would start with 5 times a week since it would give her a sense of elder son went to nursery at 1 year and 10 months and he really enjoyed doing so.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong, Mid Levels
    Hi. I was in exactly the same mind as you for all the same reasons! My daughter (20 months) went to a lot of activities and different playgroups, but I wanted to consider regular nursery also.

First I decided to first enroll her in a Sat class at our local nursery to see if she liked the enviroment, the teaching style and the structure.

She really responded to the activities and whilst the structure was new for her and she spent a lot of time wandering off doing her own thing during group activities, she very much enjoyed it.

Now I know she likes it, I've just moved her to 3 mornings a week - once with her dad, once with our helper and once with me. All going well so far!

My only condition was no 'commute' so we only looked at our local Woodlands nursery as it's a walk up the road, despite there being other options a short drive away.

Although I've just thought - do you mean proper pre-school without anyone going with them? I never know quite what the difference in terminology is between pre-school, nursery etc. here.

If you mean unaccompanied, I think she'll start that level when she's 2.5 or 3 - if I think she's ready. She'll hopefully be pretty comfortable in the environment as she's done the accompanied classes at the same school.

Hope that helps!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    southside852 - I've PM'ed you.

mushi - Definitely food for thought. Thanks.

LeahH - I'm talking about unaccompanied. :) Yes, on the one hand, I think it's a bit soon. On the other hand, she seems to be more ready for it, given that she already sees her brother going to school.

Neha is offline Banned
    Mid Levels, Hong Kong
    Personally I think 2 is too young to go alone for 3 hours but many schools here in HK actually insist on kids going alone. Our son still goes accompanied 3 times a week and only starting next month he will go unaccompanied he will 2.6 months old.

We did 3 times a week the mother toddler class, we did scoatots, my gym, kids gallery so we had fun doing other stuff. I personally feel kids have to go to school on their own for the next atleast 18 years so what difference 6 months or 1 year makes .

Having said that we have seen many kids who are ready for school and being independant. I also have seen that girls are far earlier ready for school alone than boys.

also if your child doesnt have outings with kids his age then school is a good idea to get them more social.

Best of luck

munchkinmama is offline Registered User
    We did the following with ours

Woodlands Wrigglers (18 months to about 20 months) - once a week, accompanied

Woodlands Playgroup (20 months - 24 months) - three times a week for an hour, accompanied

Woodlands Stepping Stones (24 months -2 years 8 months) -twice a week for 2 hours, unaccompanied

Stepping Stones usually asks for them to come unaccompanied from about the age of 28 months (2 years 4 months). But in our case the teacher said that our little one was ready for the independence! So at age 2 then we used to just drop off and pick up and it was all fine.

Why not start a nursery programme soon (maybe one of the summer fun things?) with your daughter and accompany her for a start with a view to her going unaccompanied shortly thereafter? That way you would get a good sense of what they are donig and how she's reacting/coping etc and then the teacher could let you know when she thinks your daughter is ready to come on her own. I think this is a good approach because much as we know our own child, teachers have seen so many and have a fairly good idea of what will work for which child - I was honestly quite surprised that our little one was OK alone at age 2 for a couple of hours and would never have done it of my own accord but it worked so well that I am glad we gave it a go!

Hope that helps with your decision.

Little Monster is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong South
    My son started pre-nursery when he turned 2. He went to full day Mon-Fri. It started with few hours a day with accompany. After about 2 weeks, he officially started his first school life, all by himself.

He was very fine with school, generally no crying (only for a few days he cried for a few seconds when I had to leave him with his teacher, and now he says Goodbye with a goodbye **** happily every morning). He has his breakfast, lunch and nap at school. He enjoys going to school very much. He can tell me the names of all his classmates, and he can recognize his classmates' parents. He sings his school song all the time at home.

I think going to pre-nursery is a GREAT choice for the kid. At school, they are attended by professionals, even though as a full time mommy, we can also teach our baby at home, but that is so different. They have so many group activities and a lot of sharing session (kids will bring their own toy/anything and introduce to his classmates), so learning is so much fun at school.

Going to pre-nursery has really strengthened his language ability. A lot of two-way communications now and I really enjoy talking to him.

So, I am a Pro-prenursery. Why not? Kids will get bored at home. Like my neighbor, they have a 2-yr-old boy, almost all day long stay at home with the maid. I feel really sorry for the baby.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast