Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

antibiotic

reei is offline Registered User

antibiotic

my bb had fever, sore throat & running nose and the pd prescribe her with medicine for running nose & antibiotics. i am quite uncomfortable that he is prescribing antibiotics for an 8 mth old. anyone had similar experience? when questioned he explain that he knows that this is a virus season and he knows what type of virus is around.
    pls share your experience n what you normally do for cold...

thks

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    When my baby was 9 months old, he was having serious cold, runny nose and cough too much when he sleeps. He was on a week of meds but did not help much so we brought him back again and his pd prescribed antibiotic for him and it only took him a day and he was sleeping about 3 hours before coughing again and the next day, 5 hours and then, gone!

that's right, i think medicines for cold, cough and fever just deals with the symptoms, but not solving root of the problem. but antibiotics attack root of the problems straightaway. my brother in law's sister who is a nurse for 20 years , recommends giving yogurt to your kids if they take antibiotics. apparently antibiotics also kills the good bacteria in the bowel, so yogurt sort of replenishes the good bacteria. i bought the yogurts for babies in jusco yesterday.
    i would let her,, try to recover on her own for 7-10 days before really giving antibiotics.. get another pd's opinion.

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Hi guys, I hope your little ones are on the mend...

I'm sure you already know this, but a cold is a virus, and antibiotics do not work for viral infections, only bacterial.

So basically antibiotics will do nothing for a cold or influenza, except upset the digestive system..

Cheers, Lali

yeah lali, but my pd said, she has throat infection. anyway, won't go to the pd again. isn't any cold, sore throat , a type of infection?

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Reei, I would call your paed and ask for more information regarding what the antibiotics are for. It doesn't sound as though he/she has given you a proper explanation and you do deserve one. As you've pointed out you don't want your 8 month old taking antibiotics unless it is for a good reason. It would be very odd I think for antibiotics to be given for a common cold (as they don't actually work to treat a common cold). However, perhaps your paed thought that there was an underlying infect causing the fever. In any case, ff you don't get an answers you need from your paed then switch to another doctor.

My baby had antibiotics at 8 months for a bad chest infection. I hated the thought of him taking them but he really needed them. He had been getting progressively worse for about 3 weeks and was really struggling to breathe. The antibiotics cleared him up in about 5 days.

FYI - some antibiotics can cause bad nappy rash so be extra careful to apply extra barrier cream each time you change his/her nappy.

THAnks sherwes. i was not very happy with the explanation he gave me that , he knows there is virus infection around.. bla..bla.. bla..
    needless to say, i will be changing pd, hopefully to someone that would really prescribe antibiotics only when really, necessary and not just solve the problem immediately. perhaps something more natural like trigger the bb's immune system so that she can be stronger.. ?
    in australia, doctors really just prefer you to take warm water and rest more. my sis' doctor in australia would question her , ' you want the medicine to make yourself feel better or the kids'?
    it will make the parents feel better, if the kids have no running nose, no fever,, but is it really better?
    i can't tell if my kid have viral or bacteria infection.. in cantonese it's just called an infection.. sigh..

"Antibiotics are ineffective against viral infections, but many people still ask doctors to prescribe them. It is important to understand that most antibiotics work only against bacterial infections, such as sore throat, but not virus infections. Viruses and bacteria may produce similar symptoms but they are very different kinds of microbes and do not respond to the same treatment. In fact, because antibiotics kill off "good" bacteria togerther with the bad, antibiotics actually inhibit the body's efforts to defend itself against viral invasion."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast