Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Canadian expected mom

EYE
    EYE is offline Registered User

Canadian expected mom

Any mom is Canadian and is going to deliver your baby in HK after the new law about "born abroad" effective on Apr 17? I am wondering if I am going to give birth in Hong Kong, could my child obtain the Canadian citizenship under the new law?

rani is offline Administrator

Looks like it effects the 2nd generation of kids born outside of Canada. The UK does this too. How did you obtain your citizenship?

AFP: Restrictive Canadian citizenship rules take effect

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

If you yourself were born in Canada, then your baby, even if born outside of Canada, will still get Canadian citizenship. But your child's children, if born outside of Canada, will not have automatic Canadian citizenship.

If a Canadian born in Canada but living abroad has a child in a foreign country, that child would still automatically be granted citizenship. But the child's offspring, if also born abroad, would not.
    See this.

The part where I am unclear about is how this rule will affect children born to "naturalized" citizens who are now living abroad... anyone? Also, how does it affect citizenship applications handed in before the new rule took effect on Apr 17? Somebody mentioned that you now cannot apply for temporary passports (without citizenship card) even if you produce a valid travel itinerary. So, how does it work for those who need to travel and cannot get another country's passport?

EYE
    EYE is offline Registered User

Canadian naturalized citizen in foreign country

According to my understanding, "naturalized" citizens include those obtained citizenship by immigration then granted citizen. Naturalized citizens are "2nd generation". So, as I am a "naturalized" citizens who obtained citizenship by immigration, my child, who will born in Hong Kong, will not become canadian automatically under the new law. Plus, I cannot apply my child if I am not going to settle in canada. If I want to apply your child, I must be residing in Canada or demonstrate that we will live in Canada when my child become permanent resident.

Frequently asked questions: Applying for citizenship

I wonder how about if I am still a tax payer for Canadian government, but for health issue, I need to stay in HK to deliver my baby. Would my child automatically become Canadian at birth? It seems that the new law picks on those who has no tie to Canada but pass their citizenship to next generation.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

"No ties" hasn't been properly defined though. What if grandparents are still in Canada... and you actually go back frequently, you're here only because of work?

Also, what happens to applications for citizenship submitted prior to Apr 17? As it takes 10-14 months before these are processed (in a "routine" application), will these be in limbo or are those considered "rejected" then? We submitted ours in Jan; should've have submitted it more than a year ago. :( Proscrastinator extraordinaire, hmmph.

I wish answers to these questions are easily accessible, without having to wade through pre-recorded messages, etc.

anniese is offline Registered User

I asked the consulate the same question too. I am a citizen by immigration, my daughter will be a citizen too even she born in HK. The new law only affect my grand child.

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

Everyone dont worry, I have talked also to the Canadian Consulate and they said that it will only effect your childs kids if they are also born outside of Canada. Im going to have my baby in Hong Kong.