Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dream Feeds and waking more often

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Dream Feeds and waking more often

My 3.5 month old started to sleep longer (4.5-6 hrs) at a stretch but unfortunately this was mostly during my awake time. I fed him after his bath around 7pm and he would wake up around 12 or 1 usually. So I decided to start `dreamfeeding him` and I would pick him up right before I went to bed (around 12) and he would be half awake, would feed, I`d put him down and then he would be good until around 3-3.30.

But now I`m finding that he is waking up hungry (rooting around, whimpering, biting his hand) even before I go to him.

Also, once he has his `long` stretch of sleep, he`s back to being up every 2.5-3 hrs for the rest of the night.

I love the little guy, but mama wants some more sleep. So I`m wondering :
    1) if my dream feeds have started to cause him to wake up early
    2) why he is still waking so often to feed at 3.5 months
    3) is it bc my milk might not be enough (yes, THIS question again...)? I should mention that I breastfeed only and he usually will refuse a bottle.

Signed,
    Sleepy Mama
    Last edited by Shenzhennifer; 04-24-2009 at 12:05 AM.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Shenzhennifer,

How about just moving his dreamfeed a little earlier? I used to dreamfeed my LO at about 10:30pm and then she would sleep till about 1-2am. This stretch got longer and longer over time. Then you could also go to bed earlier! I think 3.5 months is still a little early for consistent long stretches and every baby is different. I remember things got smoother for me around 4-5 months and it all started to make more sense :). I would get sporadic long stretches but nothing consistent. (boy were they heavenly when they came!). And i was in the same situation where after she slept a long stretch she then was up a few times before morning. These wakings also eventually became less frequent. Hang in there!

I doubt your dreamfeed is making him wake up earlier. He could be going through a growth spurt and just needs some more attention/milk at this time. I also wouldn't worry about your milk supply.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    Second, all of cyberfish88's advice. Definitely dream feed earlier. Perhaps you could also cluster feed in the evening?

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    As for whether or not you have enough milk, if he is growing well and gaining weight, then yes you do.i tis completely normal for babes to still wake up every few hours after that long stretch, both of mine did, gradually over time the long stretch got longer and longer. I ended up with the same pattern of the long stretch being around 7:00 or 8:00 and then babe getting up just after I feel asleep for the night so I never got a long strech of sleep. I feel for you! It was hard. What helped for me is I made my self go to bed no later thatn 0900 pm, and then we had a time change which woked out to my advantage. I never did the dream feed thing, but I know for some people this works

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    Just wanted to add that even as my babies got older and slept longer (they still got up 1-2 times/night for at least a year, longer with my second) for some reason it always seemed to be as soon as I fell asleep no matter what time I went to bed. Even now, the rare time my preschooler wake up it is after I fall asleep, I dont' know how they know!

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I really feel for you as I remember how it feels to be sleep deprived. I would also recommend doing a 10.30 dream feed and cluster feed in the early evening. That way you can get to bed earlier. Hang in there - they do sleep for longer eventually!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I didn't do dream feeds for very long as I found the same thing. Some told me that it could be a growth spurt and baby was getting hungry and needed a little more food (couldn't she do this during the day though!).

I have no sure answer other than trial and error. Drop the dream feed and see how many times bub wakes. I think you will need a couple of days to adjust to new routine.

kerokero is offline Registered User
    I put my baby on a 3-hr schedule and later on to a 4-hr schedule (right before bb reaching 3-month old) as stated in the book namely "On Becoming Baby Wise". I know that it is quite controversey on whether we should put a baby on a schedule. I find that it works quite well. The longest sleep of my baby would be after his last feeding at 11pm. My baby has actually quited the night feeding when he was 9-weeek. Now, I feed him every 4-hr and he never cries earlier than that. Nearly everybody said I shouldn't do that b/c I had to wake my bb up to feed him. However, my bb grows extremely well. He is now 3.5m and is now 15lbs (almost double his weight at birth). By putting baby on schedule, I can have better sleep. I can go out to do shopping, and meet friends without worrying my bb crying for food. So, why not?

The book mentioned that bb who are being put on schedule will get the most out of each feeding so they grow better. Furthermore, mother's milk supply would be better. Yes, it works for me. I can have extra 15oz milk in the fridge everyday.
    Last edited by kerokero; 04-25-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast