Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

chronic constipation- 1 month old

alibali is offline Registered User

chronic constipation- 1 month old

Hi. I have a one month old who seems to have chronic constipation. For the past 3 weeks, she only poops about every 5 days. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes really soft. Either way, she cries when she's getting it out. One doctor tells me I'm overfeeding her (3 oz every 3 hours, mostly breastmilk, just formula through the night). Another tells me to dilute her formula with extra water. A midwife told me to give her a little prune juice mixed with water. However, nothing seems to help. None of the doctors seem worried that she cries when she does it, as long as she gets it out! But I think she's also very unsettled throughout the day b/c of the constipation. Has anyone else had this problem with a young baby and, if so, how did you treat it? Thanks!

phoenixashburn is offline Registered User

my baby had constipation too..sometimes still does.... my doc asked me to have dried prunes - since I was breast feeding....try that..my baby didnt seem particularly bothered though and the doc said as long as she's not uncomfortable - even if she goes once in 6 days its fine..

alibali is offline Registered User

Thanks for the info. She finally went today and it was soft and she didn't cry- but it overflowed the diaper! So perhaps this is just the way her body works- very different from my first daughter! I'll continue to give her a little bit of water/ prune juice throughout the day and try to have a few dried prunes myself.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

My youngest DD was the same until she was about 18 months and from then it has been two poos a day min!

When she was about 6 weeks old I put her in a baby sling to go to Park n Shop and was at the checkout when she started squirming and crying. Our Park n Shop (in DB) had a baby change and feeding room so I went in to change her nappy ? not realising that she had done a MASSIVE poo. It was all over my top, all over her jumpsuit and up her tummy. I didn?t know what to do as I didn?t have a change of clothes for her (we were only going to be gone an hour as I lived close to the supermarket!).

I had to strip her down and carry her home naked (except for the clean nappy i always had in my bag) and me with a jumper on only. We must have looked very funny to others but it was a terrible experience!

I have about three or four stories just like this. When DD went every couple of days she made she it was memorable!!

megan2008 is offline Registered User

My baby was always constipated too and, like you said, the doctors never seemed bothered. She did scream in pain when she pooped though. I gave both breast milk and formula and I finally switched the formula and she never got constipated again. Hope that helps.

curiousmummy is offline Registered User

hi hi. had the same problem. is therea reason you are not breastfeeding the baby for nite feeds? the formula contains iron which prevents baby from pooing.
    either do 100% breastmilk or change to more compatible formula. we chg to jap formula, the problem was resolved. And then we did 100% breastmilk

reei is offline Registered User

i am using the japanese brand formula, 'snow' and my bb never have constipation problem. you might want to try that.. some formulas could be too 'heaty' for your baby.

AndreaY is offline Registered User

If your baby is almost exclusively on breastmilk, it may not be constipation. Breastfed babies can go without a poo for days. Both mine got into routine of pooing once every 7 days or so, and when I started to wean them off breastmilk, ie 1 feed of formula a day, they started to poo more frequently (once 3-4 days). If it comes out soft, it is not constipation.