Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

planning to give birth in hong kong,macau mom

ania79 is offline Registered User

planning to give birth in hong kong,macau mom

Hello,need advice about giving birth in Hong Kong.I live in Macau,have temporary resident ID card here,but would travel to Hong Kong with my ukrainian passport,on 7 day tourist visa.It`s my second pregnancy,I`m due in 4 weeks,on 25 may 2009.With my first baby which was born here in Macau,had one of those horrific stories that you hear from people.Thought that after 3.5 years something would change in hospital policies,and was hoping my second baby would arrive in a much better conditions,We do not have much of choice here,only one public hospital and private.So again went for public one,like everyone else in Macau.Unfortunately rules have changed from bad to worse.It seems that Macau`s Maternity ward stuck in at least 70-80`s of past century.So now,with 4 weeks to go,I am freaking out,where can I give birth to my child safely.All ``birth plan`` stuff and trying to get approval from the director of the hospital,will not do anything,just a waste of time.
    My husband and I had a crazy idea to see if there`s any way I could try to get to Hong Kong for the birth.
    I checked out hospitals online,but the prices of some of them are quite high.
    I heard from before to give birth would cost around 30 thousand hkd,but
    places like Matilda,100 to 150 thousand,are just crazy.
    I looked at Sanatorium hospital,we went there for health check-up,last year,the maternity packages seem quite reasonable,anyone ever gave birth there?
    I tried to look up for the famous Queen Mary hospital,but I can only get a web page in cantonese,nothing in english.
    Not really sure if public hospitals will accept foreighner,even with Macau ID.
    I was thinking of water birth in hospital,or home birth but it is not possible in Macau,so much for dreaming about it.
    One of my worries is how to leave Hong Kong,what kind of paper work has to be done for the baby,just a certificate from the hospital would be enough,stating that baby was born in Hong Kong?and how to enter Macau with just that paper.We`re not interested in HKG ID card,more concerned if we`ll have any problems in getting Macau ID(although by birth right the baby will get Id card,after the father)
    Anyway if anyone has any info or advice for our situation,all suggestions are welcome.
    P.s. If we will decide on going to Hong Kong,we would most probably need to make a whole booking by phone and email,don`t really have the opportunity to go before the actual event.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

You can have the baby in HK in a public hospital, but it will cost about $50,000hkd. I nearly did this, as my plans changed at the last minute when I was nearly about to give birth. You can register with the hospital authority, pay a deposit (can`t remember how much, maybe 10k??) and then call around to see which public hospitals have openings for public patients. I think it`s cheaper that way, about $30k. The popular ones won`t but if you`re willing to travel to a less popular location, then I don`t think it will be too hard.
    Also you can just turn up in labour. They actually can turn you away but might be able to help recommend a different hospital. So if you don`t register with the hospital authority first then you have the pay the $50k.
    There is a link somewhere on this website that I used before, but don`t remember where. Anyone know?

rani is offline Administrator

Here's some info on giving birth in HK if you're not a resident

Hospital Authority

Some hospitals are already Full. Check here for updates

http://www.ha.org.hk/haho/ho/hos/Hospital_Capacity.pdf

Thanks for the info Shenzhennifer.So,on the end you didn`t go to hkg hospitals?Getting on the ferry in labor,not so pleasant,especially if there`s a possibility of being send back to Macau,by the hospital.It`s a tricky thing to arrange,as you never know when and what time the baby decides to arrive.But going to hkg a week in advance before the due date is also not an option for me.What to do,what to do?Sorry no info on Sanatorium conditions?

Thank you for help Rani.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

i know the sanatorium is good, but i have a bad feeling that is already fully booked. i had a cousin who wanted to give birth there, but her obgyn couldn't secure a room (she was only 2months pregnant then)....but she was so determined to give birth there, she changed to a different obgyn who had "connections" at the sanatorium, and only then did she secure a room. This was all when she was only 2 months pregnant! I think you're kind of pushing it now to find something in HK....i looked at the site that rani gave, and I would go for Queen Mary Hospital, purely because the pre-natal ICU is the best equipped on the HK side (my daughter was there for 10days) with a great team of doctors....not trying to jinx you or anything....please don't get me wrong! Just trying to see which option is the best for you with what's available still. Good luck with everything!

Hi lesliefu,
    yeah thats not good news,I thought that private hkg hospitals,don`t have overbooking problem,maybe because of the prices,but I guess I was wrong.I will give a call to sanatorium tomorrow morning,and see how booked they are.
    Queen Mary looked fully booked on that website from Rani,so I don`t know,it also seems actually much more expensive,with all those deposites to pay,which are apparently are non-refundable.
    Thanks for reply.

rani is offline Administrator

ania, checked the website again and Queen Mary isn't booked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast