Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mastitis

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Mastitis

My baby is 4 weeks old, so far breastfeeding is good except for sore nipples here and there. I have sore nipples on left breast for few days now, i know it might be poor latch lying down. Last night, i had chills, fever like symptoms, then i realized it's not only sore nipple but sore breast, so painful that i didn't BF the whole night, this morning i pump for the first time but didn't get much on that breast.

I'm researching and it could be mastitis. What should i do? i read i should empty the breast, should i pump after baby feed, i'm worried the more milk flow or engorge if i do that.

Heat - i'm doing it now.

BF often - i'm doing it to the affected breast even if it hurts badly.

Rest - this one is difficult as i still lack sleep.

Should i see doctor or call lactation consultant, any referrals?

Lastly, can you pls give me some wordds of encouragement to hold on and continue BF, i know there are numerous benefits, no doubt about it, i BF my elder son for 12 months. But sometimes you just want to cry and give in to formula.

Thanks.

reei is offline Registered User
    hi crystal,

sorry to hear that you are having some difficulties.. i won't say 'give in' to formula, if it makes you feel better, it's okay to formula feed. you could breastfeed and formula feed ,i think that's alright, that's what i do.
    as for hanging on to breastfeeding.. keep surfing more info on breastfeeding the , benefits.. and read it over and over again.. that helps me in carrying on breastfeeding till now, bb is 8 months old now.
    the benefit of breastfeeding.. is you'll enjoy it.. don't be too hard on yourself. rest well..

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    May i add that there is no lump in the breast, only soreness on one side of the breast if i pressed it.

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    Hi Crystal

I cant offer to much advice but just wanted to say hang on in there.
    I have heard that Mrs Chee is a wonderful lactation consultant and has solved many of my friends BF problems. Sorry I dont have her contact details but I am sure if you search on this site you will find her. I would see someone, even if it is to answer your questions and put your mind at rest.

Try not to worry, rest as much as you can (easier said than done I know), and your doing a wonderful job!

lylee is offline Registered User
    Mrs. Chee's no. is 94176366, she's really good & will be able to help you. Keep up the good work!

reei is offline Registered User
    the lactation consultant from QE is also really good. I think her name is Christine.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    Crystal88, your ducts are getting clogged which may be the reason the milk is not coming out when pumping. I have been weaning my baby and facing something similar to you. If my breast becomes too hard or starts hurting (not only the breast but also my hands), I know that 1st 1-2 oz would be very hard work. I have to massage really hard and it is painful. Once the breast again becomes soft, then the milk flow is much easier.

Power on through this problem! It really does get easier as you know already with your older child. You can also contact Yvonne Heavyside, a lactation consultant, if you'd like. When my baby was newborn, I also used an Indian massage lady- she would not only do regular post natal massage but also massage out my breasts for any blocked ducts. She would find lumps which I never knew existed. Hang in there!!

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    Crystal - hang it there. I know it's horrible - I had recurrant masistis on and off with my second one from 6 weeks old to 3 months. There were times literally when I wanted to chop my boobs off, but with support I made it through and he's now 1 year old and still breast feeding without needing any formula.
    The second doctor I went to actually prescribed me vitamins and gave me a big telling off about getting more rest (ie nap whenever you can and forget housework). That seemed to be the ticket that finally got rid of it. I do have the number of a lactation counsellor in TST, Kowloon if you need it - I never used her in the end, but she was recommended to be my the doc. Please PM me if you want her number.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast