Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Calling for nursing mommies who are against CIO

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Sorry, I read the 10 reasons and most of them are either defending co-sleeping, not giving reasons, or else they are making it seem like your child is in danger if they DON`T co-sleep.
    I`m neither for nor against it, but I think there are a lot better reasons than `protecting your baby against sexual abuse` or to help it breathe again if it stops.
    My baby sleeps in the same room with us, but not the same bed. Though with our tiny room and thus tiny bed, it would be next to impossible. I envy the parents with roomy beds enough to co-sleep with their baby:)

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Our baby was pretty much in his cot in his own room from day one (although his room was adjoining our room). We generally don't have him in our bed because he is such as noisy little wriggler that we can't sleep and we both work (so undisturbed sleep is really important to us). Recently we went on holiday and I specifically booked a room with a king sized bed. We all slept together in the big bed every night and loved it. I had a nap every afternoon to catch up on the sleep I missed the night before. Bliss!

gentlemom is offline Registered User
    A BIG thank you to everyone for your encouragement and support.

I DO LOVE cosleeping, and frankly i'm not having any problems in that. I'd love to cosleep with her for as long as SHE wants to, as i read, this is just a small part of their life. The part that gets to me is the "sleeping without the breast" part.

Freddiebiscuit
    Yes, my gal still wakes up several times a night. Minimum around 1-2times a night. If i'm VERY VERY lucky, she'd sleep thru till about 6ish in the morning. That has only happened 3-4 times since she was born till now.

Katelynbb
    When u weaned ur bb at 12 mths, and u said she took it well during bedtimes, she didnt cry at all? My gal knows its bedtime, when i asked if she wants to sleep, she'll nod her head happily, but when not offered the breast, she'll scream bloody murder. LOUDLY. Since birth, she's a loud baby, she'll expressed her unhappiness by crying violently and loudly. It's hard to hush and calm her down (except to give in and give the breast) when she's all wriggling and crying. No amount of hugs or cuddles can pacify her. We tried that. I tried the CIO, well not exactly CIO cos i was right next to her on our bed, twice. Both times, i didnt give in becos she was already crying so bad and i didnt want her to think that as long as she cried so hard and loud, next time Mommy is gonna give in, so i had to persevere and held her in my arms and she cried (pitifully, along with me as well) for about 10-15mins, before going to sleep. Both times were becos she was nibbling at my breast so much it started feeling sore as i was having my AF. But the last time it happened, i cried so badly listening to her crying that i swore i'm never gonna let her cry like this anymore.

Which is why i'm wondering if babies do learn to just *snap fingers* sleep on their own like that ONE DAY without any training from the mommies. Without cryings, nothing. DO THEY??? After so many months of sleeping with a nipple in the mouth, do they REALLY just one day, MIRACULOUSLY do not NEED the breast to sleep anymore?

gentlemom is offline Registered User
    And yes, i'm also thinking and planning to have a #2, cannot imagine how i'm going to cope "logistically" if i still need to nurse #1 AND #2 at the same time. The mere thought of it is scaring me!

I would love to (and dont mind at all) continue nursing my gal until she weans (or at least when she's 2yrs old) during the daytime, it's the night wakenings that's bothering me.

carang is offline Registered User
    you will most likely have to wean #1 before #2 comes along.... at least that would be what I would assume, maybe there is someone out there that can clarify this, have they ever BF two babies differing in age? (ie. not twins)

katelynBB is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlemom View Post
    A BIG thank you to everyone for your encouragement and support.

Katelynbb
    When u weaned ur bb at 12 mths, and u said she took it well during bedtimes, she didnt cry at all? My gal knows its bedtime, when i asked if she wants to sleep, she'll nod her head happily, but when not offered the breast, she'll scream bloody murder. LOUDLY. Since birth, she's a loud baby, she'll expressed her unhappiness by crying violently and loudly. It's hard to hush and calm her down (except to give in and give the breast) when she's all wriggling and crying. No amount of hugs or cuddles can pacify her. We tried that. I tried the CIO, well not exactly CIO cos i was right next to her on our bed, twice. Both times, i didnt give in becos she was already crying so bad and i didnt want her to think that as long as she cried so hard and loud, next time Mommy is gonna give in, so i had to persevere and held her in my arms and she cried (pitifully, along with me as well) for about 10-15mins, before going to sleep. Both times were becos she was nibbling at my breast so much it started feeling sore as i was having my AF. But the last time it happened, i cried so badly listening to her crying that i swore i'm never gonna let her cry like this anymore.

Which is why i'm wondering if babies do learn to just *snap fingers* sleep on their own like that ONE DAY without any training from the mommies. Without cryings, nothing. DO THEY??? After so many months of sleeping with a nipple in the mouth, do they REALLY just one day, MIRACULOUSLY do not NEED the breast to sleep anymore?
    Hi gentlemom,
    My daughter really did just fall asleep. I was SO surprised. But she was also a very calm and laid back baby. She would never cry for food or cry if she didn't get it in time. The only time I had problems with sleeping was during her daytime naps, but she made it up by being a terrific night time sleeper and sleeping 12 hrs. I never really trained her, I thought I was going to have to, but it just worked out. I did give her milk to substitute the breastmilk after I weaned, maybe that made her really sleepy. (sorry don't really have an answer on how I was able to do it) It just worked out for us.
    With my second daughter, I can kind of tell with her personality that she would be a bit harder to wean off the breast and sleeping on her own. So I'm probably going to have to ask you later on what to do. =)
    ~Theresa~

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    though you can breastfeed a toddler and a newborn at the same time, around the time you are around 25 weeks pregnant, the milk taste changes and a lot of toddlers just finish up. Also during the time you are pregnant, if you didn't want to feed both, you could prepare toddler with letting them know that baby was coming and big girl will stop having drinks soon.

We had 2 years between the kids but eldest had self-weaned VERY early by herself at 15 months so it didn't end up being an issue...

And yes, we really had no problem after that first week of getting used to the big bed...so proud..but so missed cosleeping for the longest time...but you have to let them advance through their stages of age don't you...lucky for us that each age is just a miracle to watch and enjoy...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My friend "tandem breastfed" and did the co-sleeping and everything. She had about 18 months between #1 and #2, and breastfed #1 all through the pregnancy and actually until he was just over 2, at which time he self-weaned when she was pregnant with #3!! #1 currently sleeps half the night in his own room, and then he comes and joins mum and dad, and #2 in the family bed. The third baby will be born in July and I don't know what they will do then - maybe have 5 in the bed? *shrugs*

I don't see anything wrong with co-sleeping, or with crying it out. I think whatever works for your family. For me, I know I neeeeed my sleep - I get migraines when I'm stressed or overtired, so I wanted to do whatever would give me the most sleep. We bought one of those cosleeper beds where the baby goes between the pillows, but there are walls protecting them - and we used that for the first month, until the baby was sleeping for about 5-6 hours straight at night. Then she was in her own room. I always tried to put her down awake (unless she crashed during her last feed of the day) and let her "play" herself to sleep - and she is a good sleeper. Now (6 months old), she sleeps 10 hours straight at night, and sometimes will feed and go back to sleep for another 2-3 hours! But I know that this is HER "personality" and not all babies are like that. And I know that her being a good sleeper is 99% just that she is like that, it has nothing - or VERY little - to do with my "mothering skills".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast