Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Items Needed by Refugee Centre

shaanmom is offline Registered User

Items Needed by Refugee Centre

Hi All, am forwarding a message from my friend who is helping out at the refugee centre and they need some things. If you (or anyone you know) are getting rid of any of the following items, please PM me, we can have it collected.

1. Infant newborn baby clothes including socks and those mits to keep them from scratching themselves. Baby shoes. Bibs and baby blankets/sheets. Bottles and nipples for newborns. Bottle warmers and sterilizers, if possible. Baby washing basins or tubs. Baby carriers - the ones that are like a basket or like a small seat.

Three (3) baby strollers.

2. 200 sets of bed sheets (bottom & top) for single and double beds. Pillowcases, too. (We need 40 sets for double beds and 160 sets for single beds. Clean and not stained.)

3. 100 sleeping pillows (Not stained - we often get donated ones with stains and have to throw away) .

4. Rooms fans for the hot weather.

5. 100 umbrellas- regular or folding. (Need 40 kids' umbrellas for going to school and 60 adult umbrellas.) Not broken and still working.

6. Rice cookers

7 . Two (2) microwave ovens

8. Two used notebook computers, still working. Please remove personal data, but leave in Windows programme because there are no funds to buy it.

9. A small double bed with mattress for a young mother and her 18-months old son. The bed must fit into a space that is 130cm wide (this is wall-to-wall, so the bed should be at least 2cm smaller in width to fit) and no more than 200cm long. It should be in good condition with a clean mattress.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by shaanmom; 04-27-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo

Hi, Does anyone have any size 1, 2 or 3 nipples for avent bottles to give away? Pls pm me. Thanks!

LEMJ is offline Registered User
    I have some things I could donate. Could you let me know details of the refugee centre.
    Thanks.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Shaanmom - I have one avent bottle with size 1 nipple to give, from my pump set. I already talked to your friend and will drop a few things off at the centre.

Hi LEMJ,
    Here is some info on the Centre which I had also posted on the Geoexpat.com site. I received this info from the lady who is coordinating the donations and she is also a volunteer therapist at the centre.

The Chungking Mansions Service Centre for asylum seekers and refugees in Hong Kong was specifically set up in Tsim Sha Tsui by Christian Action. Our clients are displaced, disadvantaged, traumatised, and very poor.The centre assists men, women, and children who have fled their home countries due to political, racial, religious, and cultural persecution. Many of them have suffered imprisonment, torture, and physical and sexual violence. They are here in Hong Kong waiting - sometimes for years - for resettlement by the Hong Kong office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). They cannot work while they live in Hong Kong.

Christian Action tries to help them with basic needs.The centre provides services to 46 families, which includes nearly 100 children, and also single women and men.They are a very vulnerable group here in Hong Kong and most people - like me - did not know that they are here. As a counsellor, I am privy to their heart-breaking and sometimes horrific experiences.

Is this a new place?
    No. The Chungking Mansions Service Centre is just one branch of Christian Action.

Registered charity?
    Yes. Christian Action is a Hong Kong registered charitable organization established in 1985 in Hong Kong (registration no: 161383). Their mission is to help the poor and disadvantaged in Hong Kong and Mainland China with particular emphasis on displaced persons, irrespective of race, sex, religion or nationality.

Can you give us the name / contacts
    I can pm the contact details of the volunteer in charge of actively organising the collection of donated goods. donations. Otherwise, you can also call Halfrida Wong at Christian Action at 2723-6626. She is in charge of distributing the donated goods to the clients, once it arrives at the centre. Her number is 2723-6626.

The centre manager at Chungking Mansions Service Centre is Lisa Lee. Her number is 3176-6256.

Do you have the name of the refugee center where these items can be brought to directly? I can translate your friend's request into Chinese and post on local HK boards/forums. That way, the item list can get filled quicker.
    Thank you for your kind offer, but please do not do this as we will be inundated with goods which we cannot handle because there is no storage space. We are trying to do this, as we do need the donations.

The items mentioned will be required over the next two monthsm but first we need the baby stuff I have listed as several newborns will be arriving in the next two months, and we don't have much for them except baby formula and diapers.

Hope this is all clearer. It seems that apart from items requested, any suggestions/offers of storage and transport for donated items would also be welcome.

Please PM me if you need anymore information.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

A fresh appeal for items needed for the refugee centre.

The response last time was great and many thanks to those Geobaby members who were able to generously donate their things and also time.

At this time the centre is in dire need of mattresses and beds for families with young children or couples with a baby. Right now they are all sleeping on a couple of blankets and have been for several weeks now. Used goods are fine as long as in good condition and the mattresses are clean and unstained for public health reasons.

1. Two sets of bunk beds with mattresses

2. Two double beds with mattresses

3. Three double size mattresses

4. One king-size mattress for a family with three young children. They will all pile on. The mattress will fill their entire room but they say it's fine as it is easier than trying to fit a double mattress and bunk beds in their room.

5. Two baby cots/cribs

6. Also looking for a very small wardrobe - like child or helper's size - to fit a very small room in Sham Shui Po, Kowloon.

Please pm me if there is anything you can do to help.

Thanks!!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the pm's!

I just wanted to mention very clearly that unfortunately, the Centre cannot afford to pay for the transport charges so for individuals donating used goods such as fridges, mattresses, beds, and furniture if they would also be willing to handle the transport costs directly on Kowloon side.

People donating smaller items and bags can deliver them to a flat in Mid Levels, HK side or to the street called Minden Ave behind Chungking Mansions in TST. We can arrange for someone to meet then to collect the goods from their car.

Thanks again for your support! We have received some mattresses, etc, but are looking for more, so please pass on the word. You can pm me for any further information.

Kung Hei Fat Choy to all and good wishes for the Year of the Tiger!

The refugee centre has an urgent requirement for fridges and cookers - those one-ring or two ring- gas burners. They are for two families with very young children, one couple, and a single adult. They have been without these for two months!

If anyone is moving house and planning to dispose of these items, pls let pm me. I have to just clarify that since the Centre has very little money to spare, it would be greatly appreciated if transport for these items could also be sponsored....

Many thanks in advance!