Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

baby wont take my breast

solidstars is offline Registered User
    sorry silly question, but how can you tell if your baby has 'finished one breast'?

My baby is just pass one month old and takes forever on a breast (30-45 mins), sometimes he'll take the other side as well (not sure if this is a growth spurt) which means i'm basically feeding every single hour with, if lucky, 10-20 minute break in between where i can run to the toilet or grab a bite to eat.

so, how do i know he's 'finished' when he just keeps going?

and bart, my baby fusses some days too but i just keep giving it to him (or burping him in between) and he'll keep drinking even though in between he's bawling. Keep a positive mentality and be persistent!

carang is offline Registered User
    why is there only a 20 mintue gap?

i fed my babies on demand. i didn't time anything. it is MUCH easier! so long as your baby is gaining weight, you do not need to be feeding constantly! chances are he's just sucking for comfort if you are feeding and only having a 20 minute break.

so he's not really feeding? how do i reduce the sucking for comfort bit?

carang is offline Registered User
    the first few nights my daughter was home, all she wanted to do was suck. i sent hubby out immediately and had him get a pacifier. she used it from 5 days old until 19 months. it was a godsend. she/we were so reliant upon it, that if we forgot it when we went out, we had to stop to buy a new one!

i would give that a go. otherwise, you are going to have very sore breasts! the other thing about it was that when she cried and was not satisfied by the pacifier, we KNEW she was hungry! right now, it seems that the only way you know of to stop the crying is to offer your breast. i understand, that was how i felt, too.

thanks carang! i will try that.

and bart i just recall, have you tried feeding on your breast with the tube thing? I can't remember it's exact terminology but it (wait let me google: Breastfeeding: Using a Lactation Aid) will help your baby learn to suck from your breast too (i heard from sarah at the LLL)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Solidstars - I can`t say it`s always obvious when the baby is done, but the advice I read is to let them suck until they go off it themselves. When I know my baby has had a really good feed is when he lets go, and does this fabulously cute stretch and then when I`m burping him he looks completely out of it. Like a drunken sailor, as someone noted before.
    In my early weeks, I had no idea how much my baby was getting - he just sucked and sucked and I tried to get him to switch breasts and timed our sessions and all that. And sometimes it took forever.
    Then it got better. And also I relaxed a bit and just followed his leads. I definitely favour feeding on demand, particularly with a small baby, because they are too young to manipulate or `want` things. They want to feed when they are hungry, and that`s that.
    I read - and I don`t know if it`s true - but I read that the main milk flow from let-down only lasts for 20 min and after that it`s more comfort sucking. But I think the baby might still be trying to get more milk if he was not satisfied.
    I know, it`s so hard to tell right now. But have him weighed and that will be the best indication. My boy came out at 2.9 kg and at one month he was at 5 kg so I knew something good was coming out of my breasts, hehe.

thanks shenzhennifer! he's definitely gaining well so i'm not worried about that. the nurse at the clinic did say to pull him off at 20 minutes but he looked so dissatisfied i stopped doing that after one day trial (of 20 minutes). Now i just let him go on and on and on... I'll try what carang suggested once i go and get myself a pacifier.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Well, if he`s gaining well you`re doing an awesome job!
    Not to poo poo on anyone`s pacifier parade but I would just make sure he isn`t missing out on any nutritive sucking with the pacifier. Maybe you can squeeze your nipple to see how much milk is coming out at that point.
    Sometimes I don`t mind if my baby goes on and on for a while. I notice he does it a lot when he`s feeling unsure (like in public sometimes) or when he`s tired and just wants a bit of mama.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast