Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

baby wont take my breast

carang is offline Registered User

if the baby is gaining, there is REALLY no need for him to be sucking constantly.

i never used a pacifier with my first. he hated it. NEVER took it.

my daughter was different, as is every baby. she needed to suck. it was her comfort. (she still does it now and she's two! she drinks a bottle of milk every night at bedtime. she eats a lot during the day and she doesn't need the extra nutrition, it's merely for comfort.)

if solid is having a hard time with the constant sucking, a pacifier would provide the comfort and allow her to rest her nipples for a while.

solidstars is offline Registered User

carang i've tried giving him a pacifier but he just won't take it and keeps looking at me (or the pacifier?) like we're aliens... it's a bit funny actually

i've tried expressing some milk over the pacifier but still not working... oh well...

my son wouldn't take it either... my daughter LOVED it... just keep trying... maybe it will work, maybe not.

good luck!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I never pushed it with my son, who spit it out the couple of times I put it in his mouth over the course of a couple of months.
    Soon enough he found his fingers and thumbs and now thinks they are delectible:)

Dink is offline Registered User

Hi Solidstars - I use a pacifier for my baby who loves to suck for comfort at nap time and sleep time.... I love them, if she's getting tired, she calms right down and drops off to snooze wherever we are its great!! Just to mention we tried 2 different types before she found one she really liked.

i, personally, would rather my kids use a pacifier than their fingers or thumb. eventually you can throw a pacifier away. it is much easier to get rid of it than it is to teach kids not to suck their thumb.

i don't advocate "pushing" it on him. he is very young still and doesn't quite know what to do with this strange nipple that doesn't produce milk. trying it a few times over the course of a few weeks isn't pushing it.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

It would be very nice if people didn`t take things so personally here. Sheesh.

i wasn't taking it personally... just expressing my own opinion, just as you were... i'm sorry that you took it personally.

i've seen so many kids with sores on their thumbs, parents almost to the point of pulling their hair out because they can't get their child to stop sucking the thumb. PERSONALLY, i found it easier to take a pacifier away than try to get someone to stop sucking their thumb.

now, when your child is as small as it is, it doesn't present much of a problem... in 18-36 months' time, that may not be the case.

of course, you are free to do as you choose and what works for your family. (do i need to write that caveat at the end of every post?)
    (now, of course, i took the last post personally, as it was directed at me... personally)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast