Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bumbo seats?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan

Bumbo seats?

Just wondering if anyone used these for their babies. One of my 3.5 month old`s favourite activities is trying to sit up. Of course he cannot yet, perhaps not even so close, but he still tries with my help.

Would a bumbo seat delay a baby`s natural tendency to sit unassisted? That`s my only concern. Otherwise, it looks like a good thing for my baby.

Any opinions?

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    both of my kids LOVED it.... i have since passed it on to a friend's child. both of my kids sat up early. it did not delay their physical development at all. as a matter of fact, my daughter learned to crawl when she was 5 months old (she was a month premature, so in actual fact, she was only 4 months!!!)

shoni is offline Registered User
    Mine loved her bumbo, sat in it for 2 months before sitting by herself at 5 months and not wanting to sit in it again!!!
    Best to get a second hand one due to the limited time they are used.

Klam is offline Registered User
    Yuen Long NT
    Have to say my son absolutely loved sitting in his bumbo. However, he was only in it for a month before his thighs got too chubby to squeeze into the leg areas.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    ok, i might be the only negative review for this seat, but here goes! when i asked my midwife and doctors in London, they did not recommend us getting the bumbo as it wasn't a natural way for a baby to be sitting up.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    My daughter likes it (I wouldn't say LOVES, but she does like it...) - and I still use it now, she's 6 months and can sit unassisted but still falls over every now and then, so I don't leave her sitting alone - our floors are hard wood and I don't want her to bump her head, so I still use it when she wants to be sitting but I don't want to sit with her. I used it with the tray as a little "high chair" when I started feeding her solids before we got a proper high chair. It is tight on the thighs now (she's 8.5 kg, heavy for her age) but I think we still have at least a few months use out of it, although she's starting to lean back/arch her back and I'm afraid she might start tipping it over in a month or two!! I haven't used it as much as I thought I would though - but I'm still glad I got it.

The only thing to remember is that the bumbo should only be used on the floor. There was this thing with them in the US where they were recalled - not because they are unsafe, but because it IS unsafe to use them on another chair or on a table etc. They had to be recalled just to update the safety information on them - but the product wasn't changed, just the guidelines. They also shouldn't be used in the bath tub.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Lantau Island
    I have to second all the others. The bumbo was fantastic. In fact, even at 13 months my LO still sits in it occasionally so we have gotten ALOT of use out of ours. Now you can also buy a little table that hooks on and that is great for feeding and it also keeps them fastened in when they reach the age they can jump out! As far as I can tell, no development issues!

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    Tseung Kwan O
    agreed about the short life span part, my girl likes her Bumbo but only from when she was 4mths-5mths, once she's got better control of her body, she starts to want to wriggle out it, so I can never leave her alone in it unsupervised.
    you may want to consider getting a 2nd hand one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast