Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby B`air Flight Vests - any comments?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Baby B`air Flight Vests - any comments?

I`m taking a 15 hour flight to Canada soon with my baby and we couldn`t get a bassinette seat.
    I was planning on wearing the Baby Bjorn during the flight (outside of takeoff, landing, turbulence, etc), but I read that the baby is not positioned very well and it`s in your `crush zone`.
    So how about this product? Any experience with it? Just worried about this looooong looooong flight with my lap baby.

mumto2 is offline Registered User

All I know that its against airline regulations to use it for takeoff and landing and they should not allow you to use during those times...maybe you will be lucky and on checking in they will be able to get you a basinette seat...I've had that happen that once we were on board, they were able to shuffle a few passengers so we could have one. Otherwise we've always been fine just having bubs either in the baby bjorn or just on laps...it very much depends on the age of your baby too...

Matty is offline Registered User

I was given a vest, and found it quite useless. If you want to try it, you are welcome to have mine for free.

Don't give up on the bassinet seat, you may still be able to get one at check in.
    If not, when you get on, ask the flight attendant to see if a passenger will swap with you. There always seems to be people in bulkhead bassinet seats without children.
    Most people will be considerate enough to swap if they see that you need the seat more than they do.
    I've never had a confirmed bassinet, yet always seem to get one in the end.

If they don't, try to be sitting as close to them as possible and make sure that their journey is as uncomfortable as yours!

carang is offline Registered User

i spent $250 on one and i found it fairly useless as well. i didn't like the fact that the baby faces away from you. mine always wanted to see me, so for that it was useless.

also...if your worrying about "crush zone" on an airplane, then chances are it won't matter anyway...(my thoughts on it) if you hit turbulence, it wouldn't "crush" you... if anything happens that would "crush" you...well...chances are there won't be much left anyway.

when i took my 2 kids the first time by myself, i paid for an extra economy class seat for the baby. VERY glad i did...just that little bit of extra space was wonderful.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I`m flying Air Canada and they have only ONE bassinette for 300 passengers and someone with an infant has booked a seat in that row. their policy is that they cannot have 2 infants in the same row(???). I have already called them several times and expressed my `concern`. I really hate AC now.
    I did consider buying a seat for my baby, but then we`d also have to buy a carseat to use for that one trip (but I have a bassinette on the way back) so it didn`t seem worth it.
    I might stick with the bjorn. But I can`t see my baby staying in it for 15 hrs. I`m sure he`s going to be stretched out in my arms, so I was just worried about sudden turbulence and him going flying.

mazamarie is offline Registered User

I have used one quite a few times. I was also concerned that bub would go flying during unexpected turbulence. How I set it up was to have it looped through the extension belt they give you for bub. This meant she could be sitting on me sideways, facing me and she could stretch out while still strapped in.

Also another thing you could do is when you check in ask how full the plane is. If there are spare seats ask if there is any chance of getting a spare seat beside you so you have a bit more room. I haven't flown AC before but Cathay have always asked me if I would prefer the bassinet or a spare seat if the plane is not full, now my daughter is a little bigger (still fits the bassinet but not much room left) the spare seat is better. There is no harm in asking so give it a go.

Hope you have a good flight.

mwong222 is offline Registered User

i got one recently for my 3 month son for a 2 hour flight in China. It was not very useful. Wife complains i wasted my money. Kept having to take the seat belt off because SO had to go toilet, i had to go, baby had to go. Also i had some issues with eating the meal with him in front of me so i had to wait until SO finished and passed him to her. in the end, just took the vest off. i also don't think it is very convenient for bf.

it may be good for long flights (haven't tried yet) but for short flights, not worth the money.

shoni is offline Registered User

You dont need a car seat if you book and extra seat for baby. I paid for an extra seat for my LO on a recent trip and was very glad I did. She sat on my lap for take off and landing and I was able to arrange her sleeping on the other seat with the seat belt around her so there were no issues during any turbulance.