Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

what do you miss about home?

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I had fun reading through all your lists. It made me wistful... not really homesick, though, as I've been here over 10 years that it is home. For now, anyway.

What I do miss very much, though, --

1) Family - my folks (although they do visit HK often) and also cousins that my kids play and can grow up with
    2) Great radio stations in English --be it for music or news
    3) Cheap, yummy food
    4) Mountain Dew

i've been here for so long, that when i'm here, i think of canada as home. but when i'm there, i think of hk as home...

i don't really feel like i fit anywhere!
    Haha, Cara --I feel that way, too, sometimes!

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    mountain dew... try citysuper or gateway... they both have it sometimes.

ps> did you know there is more caffiene in that than in regular coke?!?!

sea princess is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

If ever you want to chat about the neighbourhood, just give me a call! I've sent you a PM.

Happy mother's day to all

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    Not to make anyone jealous or anything, but I`m going for holidays in Canada in less than 2 weeks (and counting the days!).
    Can`t wait to eat REAL PIZZA.
    Drink AWESOME BEER (ok, take sips bc I`m BFing)
    Eat PUB FOOD
    Eat my mom`s BREADED VEAL CUTLET

Aside from food (which will not make my baby fat imrove at all), I am excited to
    -Show my husband all things western and Canadian since he`s never been to a western country before
    -See the look on my 92 year old Grandmother when she holds my 4 month old son for the first time
    -be around my family and friends who will marvel at my baby for the very short time they are able to visit with him.

I actually do like HK a lot but I haven`t been home for 2 years and so I really can`t wait and will try to overlook the trip there for 15 hours with a baby on my lap!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i took my daughter back to meet my grandmother when my girl was only 5 weeks old. i'm VERY glad i did. my grandma died on my daughter's 1st birthday.

have a great trip! bring me back some perogies or poutine, eh?

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    did you know there is more caffiene in that than in regular coke?!?
    Yes, yes... that's why I haven't really looked so hard for it here. :)

Princess101 is offline Registered User
    If anyone is still adding to this thread, then does anyone know where there are some nice green spaces to take little ones to? I have a 11 month old who just wants to crawl everywhere. We went up to the peak last month which was lovely but I got bitten alive - literally 30 bites (I know not what from) on one foot! Any recommendations for nice outdoor space greatly appreciated!

What I miss most - Friends & Family, clean air and buggy friendly terrains!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    This post caught my eye and I wanted to chime in. But, reading through it made me realize that I'm not so different from most of the people on this list so I first went through and noted the points you all made that I can really identify with. I pasted those below as a synopsis of my feelings.

Honestly, I've lived in more polluted places. I lived in the ?Detroit? of Mainland China for a year where the sky turned black with soot and dust for about 3-4 months of the year. The car manufacturing and heavy industry combined with coal burning used everywhere and dust storms blowing in from the Gobi Desert made for really horrible air quality. I grew up in a place with virtually no air pollution as well so I know what beautiful blue skies and fresh air is.

However, living in a polluted city was something I could manage because people were friendly and polite overall and there was a sense of brotherhood and neighborly kindness. This is absolutely lacking in Hong Kong. Some days, I say to myself, ?This has got to be the rudest city!? So, that is the thing that I miss. I miss kindness and a sense of caring demonstrated through awareness of others and small gestures.

All of your comments are wonderful. Thank you all for sharing!

1) grass kids can run on and beautiful parks.
    2) clean air.
    4) space. (apartment living sucks).
    2) wide sidewalks and sidewalks that don't mysteriously end
    3) grass and parks that are within walking distance
    10) pediatricians having the right of way
    3) BLUE skies
    7) parks that people are allowed to enjoy, not just look at!
    but the thing i miss the most.....FAMILY!!!!!!
    4) north american humour
    5) western `common` sense
    6) now that I have a baby, I miss the seeming abundance of changing tables and handicapped ramps
    grassy backyard and parks and watching the beautiful sunset....without hearing other people and traffic.
    When people smile and say hello and they are strangers
    Little Monster
    1. Cosco
    I've always thought of Hk as a nice place to visit, a bad place to live, especially with children. [This sums up my feelings as well. I loved living in HK as a single person when it was short-term--not so much now] So many people are listing things that are so basic: clean air, grass, safe food, free schooling. That is so so sad!
    - the smiles and the "hi"
    - having nice, non-culturally challenged conversations with my beloved friends and family (mainly to express: no fears of being misunderstood)
    -the lowered standard of living.. but better standard of living and lifestyle (housing mainly)..
    - baby and family friendly places to go and activities
    - much more "smoke free", since being a mum, found that it's a real good idea to have more outdoors/public areas banned from smoking
    6 People that say excuse me and thank you.
    4. Affordible clothing stores, that have bigger western sizes (I.E Bras, shoes)
    8. Christmas with my family (due to my husbands job we cant go home for Christmas)
    10. Driving (we dont drive here and we dont have a car here)
    Like others, I also find cultivating friendships hard. In Hong Kong the friends we make always seem to be busy or away (or leaving HK permanently) and organising dinners/catch ups always require great organisation. I miss the spontaneity of a quick text and an hour later meeting up for Sunday afternoon beers with friends!
    Space and the ability to walk down the street without people bumping into me.
    I also miss "excuse me"
    5) Happy and relaxed people

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast