Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Mosquito repellent?

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    Tseung Kwan O

Mosquito repellent?

Recently, we have been plagued with mosquitoes visit every night. ( Some construction work nearby and we live on low floors)
    Already baby does not sleep too well, in addition to this new problem, having any decent sleep at night is virtually impossible.
    Please any good suggestions for a safe and effective repellent for baby to use in the room?
    I am thinking of those electronic ones or the mosquito lamp, already tried the patches which were useless and TOO strong smelling and will not want to use sprays for long term....
    Please help with your methods and what brands you use!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    I don`t know if it works our not, but my husband bought something called Bug Scare. It`s like a watch and emits a very high pitched signal which apparently the mosquitos don`t like. He paid about $80 for it from an outdoors shop. But after my baby was bitten about 15 times in one night we just got a mosquito net for over his bed. Here they cost close to $200 at Eugene but he got one in SZ for around 60rmb.

jjmum is offline Registered User
    I've just bought one from Wing On Dept Store last week, it's called Mozzie Contro, around HKD259. It functions by emitting different frequencies, and seems working quite well. There are 3 settings, and you can turn the knot for size of coverage area, but max. only 200 sq ft.

Don't get those electronic ones with smell, I bought one before and the chemical was far too strong that made me have a headache, only used once, then never.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    can you get screens for your windows?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    First, never leave your doors or windows open--especially at night--unless you have good-quality screens in place that don't allow mosquitos in. Because you live on a low level of the building, it would be a good idea to have a screen door installed and be very quick to get in and out of the door when you enter or leave your house. It's better to prevent them getting in than to have to fight them later.

Get a bug zapper wand and walk through your house at night--especially the room where the baby sleeps--check for mosquitos and zap them.

You could hang a mosquito net over the baby's crib as well--I wouldn't buy them at a store in the mall when any local Chinese shop that sells housewares will either carry them or know where you can buy them at--why spend 300 HKD when you can buy it for less than 100?

I know you said you don't want to use sprays but there are some natural ones that aren't full of chemicals and are healthy for skin. I use one from Japan that is a mixture of various oils like lavendar and citronella--it's not very strong and has a pleasant odor--it's designed for babies and my son never gets bitten--even if we go out at night near the mosquito-infested pond by our house--and he's wearing shorts--as long as we have a bit of the spray on him.